Midi synth Question - using layla and SBlive together.HELP!

mrsm57

Hi all,

Here is my situation, Cakewalk 9, layla, sblive, old mixer - layla has no onboard midi synth, SBlive does - all I want to do is to use some midi tracks I already have recorded, as well as use Cakewalks session Drummer and click tracks (which are both midi based).

I have searched and some have said they use sblive as thier midi synth and somehow use this in conjunction with Layla, thus letting them use Wav files and Midi files while using Layla.

How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated, if I can't do this, please tell me what I need to purchase.

Respectfully,

MR SM57

once you have the midi files recorded using the SB Live, record them (each individual midi track) as .wav files......then bring them into your new project ......

mrsm57,

It's pretty straightforward. The MIDI tracks should be assigned to one of the SB Live's available MIDI synth devices. Typically there's a SB Live MIDI Synth A and a SB Live MIDI Synth B, and also something called a WAV Synth (a not-very-useful software synth). If you have an external sound device you would route tracks you wanted it to play to the MIDI Out port (labeled MIDI Uart, I believe) and hook up the external device via a MIDI cable.

For each track, assign a MIDI Channel and a patch for it to play. If you assign more than one track to the same channel they will play the same instrument, so use a separate channel for each. Use Channel 10 for drums.

For the audio tracks, use the Layla as the source and port (I forget the terms Cakewalk uses for input and output devices).

This approach involves having a way to mix the signals from the SB Live's stero outs with the outs from the Layla so you can hear both of them. I use a mixer in my setup to do this (I also use the mixer for its mic preamps for recording vocals and acoustic instuments). This allows the most flexibility.

Others route the SB Live's output through two channels of the Layla, but that uses up two of your channels, of course.

Or, as Gidge suggested, render your MIDI parts to audio tracks by setting up an audio track to record to the SB Live's audio device and mute all but one MIDI part, and repeat for each. The result is one audio track for each MIDI track.

ALChuck,

As always, thanks to you and HR.com! My questions are always answered, and most of the time I don't feel stupid for asking them!!!!

Mr. SM 57

Back