MIDI syncing keyboard to digital recorder

Oancient1

This is partly a cross-post with one I posted in the Tascam users forum...

Currently I compose on my Yamaha keyboard, save to MIDI, and play the MIDI back on the Yamaha, recording the output to a couple audio track on my digital recorder, and then build on that with recorded guitars and vocals. Problem is, if I want to later change the MIDI (to redo the strings for example), rerecording it and getting it in sync is tricky and time consuming. What I would like to do somehow sync the Yamaha to a recorder so as to be able to use a MIDI file loaded into my Yamaha keyboard as backing that will remain synchronized to the recorded tracks, and thus keep the ability to modify the levels, panning, and instumentation (not the bars and beats) the MIDI as needed to fine tune the backing. My current 4-tack recorder doesn't output MIDI time code, but I am thinking about upgrading soon. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks,
Tom

What model of recorder is it? Are you absolutely sure it has nothing in the way of sync whatsoever?

The traditional way if the recorder doesn't output sync itself, to get an SMPTE/MTC timecode unit like the Cooper or Rees TS-1 - and lay a timecode on one of the audio tracks. But if you've only got four in total, that's probably not a good idea unless you're planning to do a lot of track bouncing.

Thanks for responding.

My 4-track recorder is the now discontinued Tascam Pocketstudio 5, which came with a lot of features but does not support sync in any way. Bouncing is ot an option because the unit records in compressed mode including bouncing, and then compresses again when mixing directly to MP3. It is a great songwriter tool for getting ideas recorded and out quickly, but there are limitation, which is why I will be looking to upgrade soon. The sync ability is one feature I want to have. The also discontinued Tascam 788 evidently can act as Master or slave, but I am nervous about buying used stuff. I think (need to check to be sure) that the newer 2488 supports sync too, but I am a little nervous about other problems I have heard that people had with that unit -- perhaps the new mkII model will be more reliable.

Anyway -- I posted hoping to find out what recorders people are actually using to do this sort of thing, so I can include them in the list of those to consider.

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks for responding.

My 4-track recorder is the now discontinued Tascam Pocketstudio 5, which came with a lot of features but does not support sync in any way. Bouncing is ot an option because the unit records in compressed mode including bouncing, and then compresses again when mixing directly to MP3. It is a great songwriter tool for getting ideas recorded and out quickly, but there are limitation, which is why I will be looking to upgrade soon. The sync ability is one feature I want to have. The also discontinued Tascam 788 evidently can act as Master or slave, but I am nervous about buying used stuff. I think (need to check to be sure) that the newer 2488 supports sync too, but I am a little nervous about other problems I have heard that people had with that unit -- perhaps the new mkII model will be more reliable.

Anyway -- I posted hoping to find out what recorders people are actually using to do this sort of thing, so I can include them in the list of those to consider.

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks for responding.

Thanks,
Tom
I'm probably not the best person to ask, since I tend to make very odd decisions - the more unorthodox the better. Hence what I would do is probably not the best idea for you :rolleyes:
Right now I'm still working on tape. If that becomes unworkable, I'll either try and get an 8-track PWM/DSD recorder (if possible), or else go the boring computer route like everyone else. In the latter case I would either get some sort of Macintosh rig, or stick with a PC and run Ardour under Linux (not for the faint-of-heart).

Back