Midi Sync Clock

nemal

I have a MidiSport 4x4 which gives me 4 midi ports.

Does anybody know how to send the Midi Sync Clock out to
more than one port at a time in Sonar/Cakewalk?

In Sonar, if you go to Options > Projects > Midi Out
it will only allow you to assign the midi sync out to one port.

But I want to Slave 2 sequencers, each on their own port, at the
same time.

Thanks,

Nemal

Why don't you try to "daisy chain" the three units.

Sonar (MASTER) > Sequencer 1 (SLAVE) > Sequencer 2 (SLAVE)

Go MIDI OUT of Sonar to MIDI IN on Seq 1, then MIDI OUT of the SEQ 1 to the MIDI IN of SEQ 2

That should do the trick. :)

peace...

spin

Spin,

Thanks for the reply.

Problem is, don't want to have to switch cables around all the time.

There HAS to be a way to slave out to multiple ports at the same time. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be allowed. And it seems like a reasonable thing to want to do.

The whole reason for having Midi 4x4's and 8x8 and MOTU midi patchbays and all that stuff is to give each device its own midi port. Of course, that's only my humble opinion.

I still greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks again.

Nemal

Your right!

I have the same configuration but I have run into some problems regarding Sonar and the midisport 4x4. The problem I had was that I could not get midi echo to work on multiple midi-channels or to different midi ports simultaneously. This may sound complex but if you think about it at a glance why shouldn't sonar be able to echo midi patterns to different devices or channels at one time. I was simply trying to use my PC as a patch between a drum machine and multiple midi channels accessing sound modules.
I contacted cakewalk and they told me that although this is a common feature to most sequences sonar can only echo data for a single midi channel at a time. This may not exactly relate to your problem but I have come across some unexpected limitations with this program your problem may be another one of them.

brzilian,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, that is the same as daisy chaining. It still limits you to 16 channels of midi.

I think I need something like the MOTU Midi Express of the EMAGIC Unitor8.

Kgb, thanks for the feedback also. Its good to hear that somebody else is dealing with similar problems. I have a work around because my Roland XV-5080 has 2 midi in ports, so I can daisy chain thru my first sequencer (Korg Triton) to the midi port 1 of the XV-5080 and then send the midi data to port 2 for the XV.
Make sense?

But that is not a satisfactory solution. I'm thinking of getting one of the Motu or emagic syncronizers but before I do I'm wonder if Logic Audio will do what we need. I already have Sounddiver (by the same company, Emagic) and I like it. I think I'm going to go to a Logic Audio Forum and see what they say.

I am very interested in how you solve your problem.

SPINSTERWUN,

Thanks for your answer too. But isn't it midi out of the first device and then mdid thru for all the rest?

Thanks guys (guys = people in general, don't want to be sexist),

Dirk

nemal said:
brzilian,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, that is the same as daisy chaining. It still limits you to 16 channels of midi.

I think I need something like the MOTU Midi Express of the EMAGIC Unitor8.

Kgb, thanks for the feedback also. Its good to hear that somebody else is dealing with similar problems. I have a work around because my Roland XV-5080 has 2 midi in ports, so I can daisy chain thru my first sequencer (Korg Triton) to the midi port 1 of the XV-5080 and then send the midi data to port 2 for the XV.
Make sense?

But that is not a satisfactory solution. I'm thinking of getting one of the Motu or emagic syncronizers but before I do I'm wonder if Logic Audio will do what we need. I already have Sounddiver (by the same company, Emagic) and I like it. I think I'm going to go to a Logic Audio Forum and see what they say.

I am very interested in how you solve your problem.

SPINSTERWUN,

Thanks for your answer too. But isn't it midi out of the first device and then mdid thru for all the rest?

Thanks guys (guys = people in general, don't want to be sexist),

Dirk

I'm trying to understand what you are doing. Are you slaving 2 sequencers containing their own song data connected to Sonar or is Sonar one of the sequencers?

If there are two external sequencers, then you would consider each one an individual MIDI "port" that is then connected to your sound sources. Using this logic, you then have 32 MIDI channels.

SONAR---MIDIMAN OUT A---MIDISOLUTIONS A---SEQ 1---SYNTH
MIDISOLUTIONS B----SEQ 2---SYNTH
MIDIMAN OUT B---SYNTH CONTROLLED BY SONAR
MIDIMAN OUT C---SYNTH " "
MIDIMAN OUT D---SYNTH " "

This setup would give you 49 channels (port A really is only using ch. 1 for Clock Sync but the sequencers in turn can transmitt on 16 channels each)

Why are you using the 2 additional sequencers? Can Sonar be the only one in the setup?

brzilian,

I'm not sure what I'm doing.

First of all, it sounds like the midisolutions product actually does give you more than 16 channels by multiplexing the output. Is that true?

I have a triton synth/seq and a xv-5080 sound module/sythn.
The triton has effects and arpaggetors and the xv-5080 and effects plus they both have LFO that I want to sync up and slave to the computer (Master).

I want to use Sonar as the final sequencer and timing master.
But I want to be able to fully sync all effects and LFO of both synths while being able to access 16 midi channels to each device.
I also want the ability to expand on this. So I can fully sync any other synth I might add to my system.

What do you think? I'm I going about it all wrong?

Thanks

Nemal.

Back