midi sounds combining

JTC111

No matter what sound I try to access on my Motif through Protools LE, the sound is combined with a piano sound. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it? I'm pulling my hair out.

You are probably sending on more than one channel from the midi track or the motif is configured incorrectly. The Motif is what is called multitimberal so it will play a different patch depending on which midi channel it is receiving on. You need to check which channel PT is sending on and how the motif is set up receive

Not sure about the Motif or how it operates. But it sounds like you need to turn off local Midi on the instrument. Older synths usually had a back panel switch or even a button on the front panel for this. How to do it on your instrument is anyones guess. Check the manual.

Another thing to check is if your protools track is triggering a GM soundset on your computer's sound card.

Thanks for the replies. It appears that my problem is more serious than it appeared and while they seem unrelated, I think it can't be a coincidence that they all happened within a day of each other. Here's what happened in the order it happened...
1 - The G4 begins giving me an error message that it can't go to sleep because some system program is missing (however, the sleep mode is disabled in preferences).
2 - Midi assignments are screwing up as I described in the original post in this thread.
3 - I'm getting no sound out to my mixer board, thus no sound to the monitors. It had been working fine just hours before and I made no changes to any settings.
4 - Here's the scary one... I can't hear anything in the mixing board, but I am getting sound out of the headphone jack on the Digi001, but the playback is happening at about 1/100 speed (and no, it's not half speed, and yes, I know there's a way to do that in Protools but that isn't what's happening).

The last one makes me wonder if I'm not experiencing some kind of hard drive failure and if that couldn't be causing all the other problems somehow. I don't want to put any money into the G4 because I had planned to upgrade to a Mac Pro 8-core and an 003 in 2-3 months. I may have to up my timetable now though.

Ugh. I'm depressed.

Back