Midi Setup

Jimmy2002

Hi can any one help?

I currently use a digi 002 mixer and protools 6.7, i currently only work with audio and want to move into the world of midi, but have no idea of how or what i need to make my own set up. I have used midi systems befor but they have been at uni ect... so they have always been setup. I have no clue how to set my own up. I guess I will need some form of sound moudulator and midi controller im looking to spend around £300 - £400 if its do-able around that price

Can Any On Help?

Many Thanks
Jimmy

I currently use a digi 002 mixer and protools 6.7

Your best and cheapest option is to download Reaper - LINK - and rewire it with PT. It has much better midi editing than PT has and once you get used to having it rewired it will be like just another editing screen. You have 30 days to work with Reaper and after that they ask for a $40 shareware fee.

Then you can use a USB keyboard like this --- LINK --- or this --- LINK --- and go here --- LINK --- to load up on free softsynths and free soft effects,

Thanks, that has pointed me in the right direction

But, after looking at some options i came across this http://www.dv247.com/invt/24460/ a roland juno D am i right in think that i can use this a midi keyboard controller as well as a synth if i can that will be ideal, But how do i contect it to my computer i know it has midi in and out ports on the back of the synth and i have a midi in and out on my digi 002 do i just connect midi out on the synth to midi in on the 002 with a midi cable or do i need some other form of hardware or softwear?

Jimmy

You can use any midi equipped keyboard as a controller. The only thing you need to remember is when you're using a keyboard like the Juno D that has sounds in it that you want to have access to is to set the 'local on/off' to 'off'. That will break the connection between the keyboard and the sounds inside.

Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Nice choice, will have to compare

so will i just need to plug midi out on keyboard to midi on digi 002 to connect the keyboard to my system? and select the sounds form the softwear. sorry if that dont make sence im bit confused of how I set it up for midi

Jimmy

First, for either keyboard you're currently considering find the 'local on/off' command and set it to 'off'. I know I've mentioned this before but it's important.

Then plug the keyboard midi out into the digi 002 midi in and the digi 002 midi out to the keyboard midi in.

Both of the keyboards are 'multi timbral' meaning that they can produce more than one sound at a time when driven by a sequencer. For example, you can set up a multi patch in which you have a bass on midi channel 1, a piano on midi channel 2, strings on midi channel 3 and a drum kit on midi channel 10. The manual for either keyboard will guide you thru this process. The audio from the keyboard is fed into your Digi 002

To sum up, you pick your sounds on the midi instrument. All you're storing in the software is midi commands - which note, how long it's held and how hard it was played. This gives midi much more flexibility than audio since you can change the sound playing the part until you find the perfect sound.

Go here --- LINK --- to find a recently revised beginners guide to midi.

Back