Midi setup help.....

jdizzel

hey guys. I need some help. I currently am using Protools 6.4 with digi 001 interface. I have a midi keyboard controller and 3 sound modules(roland XV-5050, proteus 2000, and Korg Triton. I am able to run 2 of the sound modules through my MPC 2000XL through A&B with no problem. My problem is, how do I hook up the 3rd sound module? I thought I could do a "midi through" with one of the sound modules but that did not work. Can Anyone point me to the right direction?? Thanks in Advance....

Hmm...

It depends on how many MIDI channels you are using across your system...
You should be able to just hook your last unit into the "thru" of your controller to the "in" of your last unit...

But, If you only have 16 MIDI channels instead of "multiple ports", You're going to have to free up a few channels to have the last unit sound off correctly...

I hope this helps...

Which units are hooked "how"?
Are there multiple MIDI ports so you have more than 16 MIDI channels?

Let me know...

"thru" echos all information recieved on the "in" port (but doesn't relay "out" information) so, as has already been stated, provided you don't have multiple devices set to recieve on the same channel, you'll be fine. back in my poorer days i used to daisy chain up to 6 devices without a problem.

I don't think i have the "midi through" setup correctly.... i will try it when i get home by trying to plug it from the "through" of the controller to the last unit (module)......

Thanks a lot guys. I will keep you posted if it works!

some devices have different thru modes, might be worth it to RTFM and see about event filtering or if the thru can be set to be an "out".

Mpc

I think it may not work because of the MPC's outputs...
Are you sure they're Thru's??
I'm thinking because there is an A and B, they are actually 'outs' which will filter any incoming data...

If your controller has a thru - And you plug your last module into the thru of the controller, I would think that this setup would work...

Keep us posted...

Back