MIDI Routing function... can Cubase or any other app do this?

geneticfunk

Can Cubase, or any other app in conjunction with Cubase, do the following?:

I have a MIDI fader on CC#0, and MIDI drum pads transmitting various note #'s. I want to make the MIDI data from CC#0 be routed to the CC# that matches the last played note #.

For example, let's say I play MIDI note #1. I want the MIDI data on CC#0 to be routed to CC#1. Let's say I then play MIDI note #2. I want the MIDI data on CC#0 to then be routed to CC#2 (but no longer to CC#1.)

If I play MIDI note #1 again, I want the MIDI data on CC#0 to be routed to CC#1 again (but no longer CC#2).

And so on, for every MIDI note number.

I called Cubase tech support, but they said that Cubase cannot do this. Is there any MIDI routing program that I can use in conjunction with Cubase to make this happen?

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

If anyone's interested, the reason I want to do all of this is because I am using an Akai MPD16 MIDI controller to control Native Instruments' Battery Drum Sampler. The MPD16 has one MIDI fader on it. I want to use this MIDI fader to control the volume of the most recently played drum cell in Battery.

your looking at a limitation of the hardware. The mpd does not do that and even with a good translator (like bome) it wont work since u cannot dynamically change the mapping of the fader

you should just get a knob bank and use that for volume

It just seems so silly to have a separate knob for each drum pad volume... with two banks of 16 pads on the MPD, that adds up to 32 knobs. Using this 32 knob configuration will slow down workflow compared to the 1 knob or fader configuration.

The dynamic note # dependant MIDI rerouting scheme that I described in my first post is not complicated... if an app which is capable of this sat in the MIDI data flow path between Cubase and the MPD16, then the 1 knob/fader configuration would be achieved.

With simple signal processing techniques, the so called hardware limitation can be overcome easily. If only I can find an app which can accomplish this simple task.

If you think it's so simple, write an applet that can do it.

I can tell you how. But no matter how you look at it, that app is a one trick pony, solving a non-existent problem.

geneticfunk said:
It just seems so silly to have a separate knob for each drum pad volume... with two banks of 16 pads on the MPD, that adds up to 32 knobs. Using this 32 knob configuration will slow down workflow compared to the 1 knob or fader configuration.

The dynamic note # dependant MIDI rerouting scheme that I described in my first post is not complicated... if an app which is capable of this sat in the MIDI data flow path between Cubase and the MPD16, then the 1 knob/fader configuration would be achieved.

With simple signal processing techniques, the so called hardware limitation can be overcome easily. If only I can find an app which can accomplish this simple task.

I wish I knew how to write applets. Can you recommend a good tutorial?

I'll agree that such an applet would be a one trick pony, but I do think that it would solve a meaningful and significant problem.

I think this should be possible with the Input Transformer (check the manual to find out where it is). This is a very simple scripting engine for midi stuff. You can do simple if-statements, transform values into different values etc. One thing I did with it was change the modulation value coming in, to the volume value (don't remember the CC). It worked great.

You could make something like "If NoteNumber = 1 Then CC#1==CC#2". Repeat that for every note. The actual syntax looks a bit different but if you know anything about programming you should be able to figure it out. You can really do some interesting stuff with it.

Back