MIDI recording with SX: Setting volumes?

Alejo

Hi to all,

Let´s say that I create a midi track where the snare drum and the hit-hat occupy the same moment (the same point ,or the same "column" on the drum editor).

I actually can control part of the volume of every instrument independently if I reduce the velocity on that instrument. In this case the volume goes a bit down and it does not reach to the minimum, but it always stays on an audible level. I can reduce the volume completely by selecting the option "Main volume" but the volume will be reduced in all the column, therefore affecting both, the snare and the hit-hat.

Any clues?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Alejo.

Hey Alejo, I'm not sure I am getting what your asking, it seems like you have everything down. But if your not getting enough reduction for one of the drums, you can do what I do for my bass drum when I program drums.

After I lay out the drums I take the whole line of bass drum MIDI info and copy and paste it to it's own MIDI track and erase the bass drum off of the origional drum MIDI track. This way I can really crank up the bass drum and tool it's sound seperately since it always seems like the bass drum comes out too quiet in programed drum tracks. If you do this for your drum or cymbal you can have a seperate volume controller to turn it down.

Hope that is what you were looking for.

As usual, txs for your quick response, Bass Master.

I agree I didn´t make myself clear. You option looks allright and doable. Right now I am doing that, but also transforming every drum instrument that I make in midi into audio, where I´ve got more resources.

My question comes when I create a single drum MIDI track with all the drum instruments inside. Simply, I don´t know how to control the volumes separately on the Drum Editor. If I set the "velocity" bar to reduce the volume of the bass drum, the volume of the bass drum stays audible even when I set it on the minimum, and if I set the "main Volume" bars to reduce the volume of the bass drum, I also reduce the volume on all the instrument that appears at the same time, muting for example, cymbals, snare drum or hit-hat.

Anyhow i don´t undestand pretty much the concept of "velocity". May be I translate it as "volume" and it means another thing.

Cheers,

Alejo.

Back