MIDI RECORDING - Can U Help Me?

chippy

All I do is read about MIDI, the soundcard. I've bought my MIDI cables for my Yamaha keyboard. My software to write music. The more I read on the subject matter, now I'm not sure I have all the necessary cables? However, aside from having all necessary items to get started in MIDI recording, I go looking for some soundcard, and I know I'm gonna break something. However, I'm that dumb, I know I won't even be able to find it! This is not something I can do on my own from reading. It's not going to help me. I've reached the point of no return. Is there anyone out there in the Northern, VA area who wouldn't mind helping me get connected with MIDI? If you are a kind soul, your kindness will be rewarded! I'm sorry, my brain is not connected for this, yet I write songs. I must learn this, but the reading isn't helping.

Thanks.
Chippy - br4mefaso4@yahoo.com

MIMI -Can U Help M

c7sus,

I know it's not rocket science. However, I'm just plain dumb on this. And that's my conclusion after reading up on MIDI and trying to get connected.
I appreciate your writing to me on this.

What soundcard do I have? - I'll be using my mother's PC for this; I don't own a PC. She gets audio sound, has speakers, and I was told she has a soundcard on her PC. I don't know how to identify what type of soundcard she has. But someone else told me the soundcard's are inside the CPU. I'm not going into breakdown mode until I'm sure of what I should do for fear of breaking something.

Software? - I have "Notation" by Magix and it will write my notes to the songs after they are downloaded.

What keyboard - I have a Yamaha PSR 510.

Thank you for writing c7sus

I have my MIDI cables I purchased that is suppose to connect from my keyboard into the computer. I read about a Joystick adapter, and I'm not sure if I need this beyond the MIDI cables.

Thank you for writing cs

Ok, well right off the bat you are going to need to narrow the field and at least take a look at the back of the computer to give some basic soundcard information. Follow the speaker wires to the back of the computer...... they plug into the soundcard. So, how many holes are back there? 1 for the speakers, one says "mic in" one says "line in" anything else of note?

You will probably need a joystick port to midi adapter. The is pretty much no chance that her computer already has a midi port but there is a 90% chance she has a joystick port.

MIDI - Can U Help Me

Evan and TexasRoadKill,

Thanks for replying to try to get my MIDI understanding so I can get connected. Evan, I followed the speaker line back as you said. One speaker line connects in one hole. Another hold under that hole is also for audio showing a sound picture. The third hold under that shows a picture of a mic. Then across from it, is a jack of some type. It's not round like my MIDI cable plugs, but horizontal type. There's nothing there identifying what it is.

Your PC will have a game/MIDI port, which is a female DB style connector (like a serial or parallel port, but I believe it's 15 pin or something). You will need a MIDI->Joystick style cable which can be purchased at your local music shop.

To find out what kind of audio hardware you've got, get into the Control Panel and choose "Sounds and Multimedia", then click the "hardware" tab.

Slackmaster 2000

MIDI - Can U Help Me

Slackmaster,

Thanks for reviewing my problem, and letting me know about getting the sound device specifications; I wouldn't have even thought on doing that. You have been very helpful.

Thanks again,
Chippy

Re: MIDI - Can U Help Me

Another hold under that hole is also for audio showing a sound picture. The third hold under that shows a picture of a mic.

This hole should be the "line in" port. Thats what you would plug guitars or drum machines or whatnot into.

Then across from it, is a jack of some type. It's not round like my MIDI cable plugs, but horizontal type. There's nothing there identifying what it is. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now this is the puppy that all the boys are talking about. This, I believe, is the joystick port. You will need an adaptor to convert it, but this will be your midi in big guy.

MIDI - Can U Help Me?

Brad, TexasRoadKill, and Even.

First Brad - You silly man! How's your joystick lately?
Thinking about joystick ports, heh! Well of course you couldn't resist!

Even, o.k. thanks for confirming that that jack near the speaker line holes is probably the joystick port. So I guess my keyboard MIDI cable will connect onto that joystick adapter? It's all going to be trial and error till I get it working.

But then once my keyboard is connected on...then what do I do. Am I suppose to have a MIDI software program installed. I don't know what to tell the computer to do or my keyboard to do? You may not play keyboard but if you have a rough idea, it would help me on your thoughts.

Texas Road Kill - You've been really helpful too, and I thank you for being there for me, along with Even, and all others who have helped me in getting MIDI connected.

You guys are really great!
Chippy (I know's a guys name, but it means happiness as my aka)

You will need a sequencer program. That is what records the midi data. You will also eventually need to record the audio outs of your keyboard(as well as listen to them while playing). You can record them on your computer with an audio program or onto an external recorder of some kind.

It sounds like you need to study up on the basics a little more. Go to the home page of this site and scroll down. There are some good newbie links and tutorials on the different aspects of midi and recording.

MIDI - Can U Help Me

TexasRoadKill,

Thanks for the further info about a sequencer program. Yes, well now that I'm clear on getting connected (mostly clear), I can go on to the next step about the sequencer program. I thought my
Notation Software would work with this. So I will do some more reading about this and the squencer program/s. Thanks again for your help Tex man! I gotta go eat some crabs now. You've been a real help!

Thanks.
Chippy

Back