MIDI Problem with Sonar

grubbytron

Hi. I am having a problem with my midi keyboard. I just bought all the gear for my home studio, and am trying to get it all hooked up. I try to record a midi track in sonar 4, but sonar doesnt recognize any keys being pressed. It does recognize the keyboard by name, but does not recognize midi data coming in. I have the track's input set to All inputs-Omni. The output is set to 1-Photon X25 (midi channel one on the keyboard). I set the keyboard to send midi data on channel 1. I selected the midi patch of Acoustic Grand Piano. I have used the sonar help box and tried every combination of ins/outs for the track. Ive read all the midi related help in sonar, tried everything it said to try. Ive read the instructions for the sound card, and read the instructions for the keyboard. When I press keys on the keyboard, I hear nothing and nothing gets recorded in sonar. Ive gotta be overlooking a setting somewhere, I just can't find it. Hopefully some of you have ran into this before and can help.

Here is my setup.

Alesis X25 midi keyboard without sounds
Behringer Eurotrack UB802 Analog Mixer
Audiophile 2496 soundcard with midi i/o
Sonar 4 Producer Edition.

Keyboard midi cables hooked up in to out and out to in. USB powering the keyboard. Left and right audio out from keyboard to lines 3/4 on mixer. Mixer main out to soundcard in. Soundcard out to monitors, which work. I have installed the latest driver for the soundcard, and sonar 4 sample audio files play through my speakers fine. The keyboard icon in the windows taskbar does not light up on the left like it's supposed to, and the sonar help said that meant sonar is not recieving midi data from the keyboard. The right red light did light up once.

I am new at this, and really would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have. Thanks.

Sounds like its not making it to Sonar or windows. Check your soundcards console settings for midi. If you have any kind of ourboard device, plug your keyboard into it and make sure its sending midi like it should.

Wait... "Keyboard midi cables hooked up in to out and out to in." Hooked where exactly? Into some kind of digital board or into a midi jack on your soundcard?

You need another way to see if the keyboard is even sending midi at all. Ride it up to a music store and plug it into a midi sound module or something. Eliminating everything else usually leaves the problem in the open.

Thanks for the reply. The midi cables are connected to midi i/o on the soundcard. The soundcard came with a midi and S/PDIF to joystick adapter cable, and I use the midi but not the S/PDIF. The midi keyboard is brand new, just got it today. It powers up fine, I set it for Sonar in the keyboard's lcd menu. Somehow the midi data is making it into sonar but not to the speakers. Sonar is recording the keys I press, I can see that, but there is no sound. The soundcard console doesnt say anything about midi. It shows H/W In 1/2 and Wav Out 1/2. With H/W In 1/2 I can hear sound from any program except sonar. Set to Wav Out 1/2, I hear nothing from any program. I dont have an outboard device. In Sonar, under Options>Midi Devices Inputs and outputs. I have the options of selecting the keyboard, the soundcard, or both. What should I select here? The instructions were not clear. It says "In the Inputs column, select your sound card's MIDI In device". Thanks for the help. :)

Back