Midi out of tune

raximus

I have a 003R+ with Protools 8 and im running a casio midi keyboard. I've recently recorded all the guitars for a song. I then went to put midi piano over it using Protools Mini Grand plug in. The Piano sounds sharp and doesn't blend well with the music. I have checked the guitars and they are definitely in tune.

Any ideas?

I'm running a new imac.

Thanks

Hmmmm

I don't know your equipment at all, but I have a couple of ideas.

1) Assuming that the whole piano instrument seems sharp, and not just a particular register, you can detune the piano instrument a certain number of cents until it sounds right to your ears.

As you may know, there are 100 cents in a semitone, so if your notes sound sharp, detune your piano track from the synth or sample module that it is playing from. Start with -5 cents, and if that's not enough, increase to -7, then -8, etc.

2) The alternative, and more difficult method, is to program a MIDI command at the beginning of the track to pitchbend downward a small amount, and not to reset throughout the whole song.

I found a link on Cakewalk forums that address this issue and your technical need quite well. Here's the link:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1486576&mpage=1&key=exaggerated?

Pay special attention to the MIDI range for pitchbend of (-8192 to +8191), and try to understand what is involved so that you can determine what value to enter in your pitchbend range command, to effect the whole piano track. Good stuff in that forum.

But by far, the most simple answer is the 1st suggestion I gave. There is always a way to detune patches, i.e. oscillators, in a synth.

did you record them at 44.1 and play them back at 48? or opposite?

I've had this issue before and it will defintely cause audible pitch issues. Very easy to do, especially if the sound libraries you are using are recorded at one bit rate and your recordings are at another.

Should be easy to correct.

Once I inadvertently changed my digital tuner to compensate and all notes were 5 cents flat or so. Is this a possibility, that your guitars were tuned incorrectly? If so, you may be able to change the MIDI to compensate.

-MD

Once I inadvertently changed my digital tuner to compensate and all notes were 5 cents flat or so. Is this a possibility, that your guitars were tuned incorrectly? If so, you may be able to change the MIDI to compensate.

-MD

i've dont that as well. i think normal is 440 right? you can change that and it fucks up everything

Back