midi or audio

rajaa11

Hi all , i have a question, what would be the best way to record.....right know i only lay vocals and drum kits to tracks and i keep the midi the same( coming out of my sound canvas) but i can control the volume, pan,mutes,solo, and etc. from cubase midi mixer panel.......but i was thinking should i lay everything to tracks (record the midi to audio) say i have 8 midi instruments ......should i lay 8 tracks of audio laying each instrument on it's own track.........may some one could tell me how they record.........peace

As the project requiers, I usually have MIDI tracks, recorded synth/MIDI tracks and audio tracks.

Keijo

true

what happen warlock, what you say is true but wouldn't be better to be able to eq all the sounds........right know all my midi sounds are just comeing out of a stereo rca jack and the hole mix get eq..........peace

I would think that you would want to record your midi, do any continuous control tweaking you need to, ie: velocity changes, volume changes , expression, sustain etc to get your midi as "real sounding before you convert the part to audio. Converting the midi to audio will then allow you to add compression, EQ , and whatever other fx or editing you would like to do.

With midi, I go as far as seperating ALL my parts. This will give you so much more flexability manipulating or enhancing your sounds. If you run out of tracks, work on a few, & bounce em down to one. A good example would be to have 4 parts of midi. drums-- bass drum, snare, kick, hihat -- convert sepeartely to wave files, EQ and enhance to taste, then bounce to one track.

The key word is seperating. I usually create my whole drum kit as one midi part & then seperate the part into 4 parts after the fact.

1 at a time

hi nattn, that sounds pretty good and i will give it a try but, the thing is i'm using a softwear controller call the u-8 (which suck ass) and i can only record one track at a time. I'm currently looking into this controller called the roland studio pack, which you can record 8 tracks at the same time. what type off sound card are you using and how many tracks can you record at once.......peace oh P. S. I'm using cubase VST 32 so audio tracks are not a problem but cpu power might be i'll let you know.........1 love

rajaa11,

don't worry that you can only record 1 track at a time, that is not a problem. the deal is to separate your midi parts onto seperate tracks in cubase, & convert then imdividually to wave files. No "recording" needed. Once they are coverted to wav's fiddle with them in cubase, or soundforge, or whatever you use to edit the trax. This way you can get the sound exactly how you would like it on each of your parts.

i use cubase 5.0 as well, & my SC is a Delta 66.

Back