MIDI lag. How do I fix it?

hybridsound

When I run Absynth 3 and Pro 25 with my controller, I have a short lag that is really bugging me. It makes it really hard to play when my fingering doesn't match what I'm hearing. Is there a way to fix this problem or is unfixable? I imagine there would be no lag if I was running through USB but my controller doesn't have USB. Please bear in mind that I am kind of a newbie when it comes to softsynths and MIDI.

It's called latency, and is a result of your sound card or midi input device.
It happens with USB MIDI devices as well. You just have to adjust your latency settings to as low as possible.

At least, that's how I do it. I don't know why the latency occurs in the first place.

If you're running ASIO drivers, I would try Wuchsel's ASIO4ALL, which lets you set the latency with a slider. If you set your latency too low, you'll hear crackles and pops in your sound, because the processor / harddisk / RAM / soundcard can't keep up. If you set for higher latency, the PC has time to load in the sample, and it'll play fine, but just a bit later.

Hope this helps.
Stan.

Thanks, you guys! You are life savers! I put it to my Yamaha DSx and set the latency to 7 ms. It's working so much better now. Thanks again!

Back