MIDI interface?

Lkoz91

Ok so I understand that an audio interface allows the computer to grasp the higher quality sounds from a microphone that the soundcard can't handle. But why do we need a midi interface? Isn't it all computer generated sounds? How much better can an interface make those better? Can someone explain this to me? Much appreciated!

A MIDI interface allows you to connect midi hardware (controllers and sound modules). Typically a MIDI interface connects to your computer via USB or FireWire and contains the 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors. This lets you connect a MIDI-enabled piano, beat pad, etc. to control music production software. The MIDI interface does no actual sound reproduction.

MIDI is NOT sound! MIDI is data capable of triggering equipped musical devices.

For instance, if you have a computer with music production software (ProTools, Logic, Cubase, GarageBand, etc.), a MIDI interface allows you to connect your cheap Casio keyboard and control sound generated by your computer... your cheap Casio could then potentially sound like a Rhodes electric piano, Steinweg grand, or Hammond organ--or dogs barking, drums from space, etc.--whatever sounds you have on your computer.

I have some old synthesizers that I love the sound of, and to use them with my computer you'd need a MIDI interface.

If you're using sounds that are in your computer you don't need one.

MIDI is what they had before USB came out so to hook up old gear you need to use MIDI.

Another way to put it:

Midi captures the PERFORMANCE of a controller (keyboard, midi guitar, windsyth, etc.)
It merely records the note-on, note-off patterns.

Once that performance is in the computer, yes the software translates it into audio.

The magic is being able to go back and edit every note so that you can correct a mistake without having to re-do the entire performance.

Back