MIDI HW for Computer

mastahnke

Linux Man...
I have a Midiman USB 2x2 and it work perfectly, but as my gear collection has grown, so have my MIDI needs.

Devices I use that I use MIDI with:

Computer
Tascam DM-24
Alesis HD-24
Lexicon MPX1
Alesis Quadraverb
Line6 POD
Alesis QS 8.1

I am thinking an 8x8 is the way to go here, as I should be able to let any device talk to any other device. Most commonly I need the DM-24<-->Alesis HD24 or DM-24<-->Computer

An 8x8 Unit should let me do that type of switching right?

I have looked at the MOTU MTPAV and the Midiman Midisport 8x8. They both look great, but I know MOTU and PC's are like Oil and Water (I have a 2408) and I know Midiman writes great drivers. But, the MOTU offers lots on sync options. Are they important?

I usually clock my WordClock from the DM-24 through the MOTU 2408 to the ADAT.

I run MIDI Time Code from either the computer or the adat.

Would another way be bettter?

So yeah, I am not too MIDI savvy, but need some help.

Opinions?

mastahnke said:
...I have looked at the MOTU MTPAV and the Midiman Midisport 8x8. They both look great, but I know MOTU and PC's are like Oil and Water...

Hmmm... I never heard this before. It's true, that MOTU aimed Mac users for long, but then again everything is change, since PC (Windows) users are realy potential market :) Do you run Windows (...or Linux like your Avatar ? :D ), what version ?

It was long time ago, in friend's studio. I couldn't quite remember how did he set it up, but from my humble experience, I never had any negative issue working with both MOTU (MTPAV & Express XT) in Win98SE running Cake PA 9.

;)
Jaymz

I run linux, but for recording, I run Windows, as the software available for Linux and HW support doesn't quite meet my needs yet. Maybe in a few years. Delta does have drivers for linux, but they don't have soundcards that can take in 24 Inputs at once via TDIF and LightPipe.

Anyway, I suscribe to a number of MOTU user groups and it seems they don't do very well for PC Still. I don't know first-hand about the MTV stuff, but their soundcards (PCI324/424) are VERY picky about chipset, FSB speed, and other stuff that Delta just doesn't care about.

I am usually using Cubase SX...

Back