Midi Help

Envy The Pea

I registered over at N-tracks but the damn thing won't let me post! Hoping someone can assist me here:

I'm trying to record my Roland TD-3 drums as midi tracks in n-tracks. I'm using a Tascam US-428 as the interface with my laptop

I'm able to record audio no problem. Can't seem to get the midi to work. My TD-3 instructions are to release local control and to have the sequencer set to accept channel 10. I've tried every possible (I know-- not the right one yet!) combination of settings in the midi control setup in n-tracks and can't get any sound level on the drums. Nothin'! Can anyone shed any light on the proper settings for this configuration?

Appreciate any help!

I think the setup I was after was supposed to allow for hearing the td-3 module sounds. So I have a midi in and midi out cable connecting the tascam and the td-3.

The US-428's midi in LED lights up when I hit a pad on the td-3, so it appears that signal is good. But the record vu's in n-track don't register anything so it's not happening between the computer and the US-428.

Make sure you are monitoring the midi channel, you should see both the midi input and output indicators lighting up when u use the pads. also check that you are routing back to the same channel you are receiving from

Man this is frustrating! I feel like I've tried every dang setting option there is and still no results!

I'm not sure if I'm monitoring the midi or not. Should I be able to see a level on the recording VU even if I'm not actually recording? I did the metronome test and I could see the midi out light flickering as well as the td-3 module lights going-- but I get no metronome sound! Aghh!

These are the midi setting options in n-tracks and which I have checked:
No Echo
Auto (checked)
Manual
Keep Midi Devices Open (checked)

I have the "US-428 Control" set for both Input and Output ports, rather than US-428-port 1 in both boxes (although I've tried that too)!

In the midi settings in the preferences I clicked into midi devices and I have the US-428 Control set. What am I missing?

I even tried connecting my Roland RS-50 synth with the same negative results! It's gotta be something simple, right?

Back