Midi guitar recording

Claudio

Hi to all.
I´m still have problems in recordind on a pc with my Stratocaster with the Roland GR-30 sinth guitar (bending,latency,fancy notes in chirds....)
Só i m searching for álternatives ways.
I heard (saw demos) about the "Casio DG-20" guitar and the "You Rock Guitar GEN 2" guitar.

I dont care about their internal sound because my intention is to get the input form the guitar and recording to the PC sequencer
in order to get the sounds trhu the many VST Instrument that i have in the sequencer.

"You Rock Guitar GEN 2"
it seems there are not steel or nylon real chord at the left and there is chord on the right side of the guitar.

"Casio DG-20"
looks really old fashion (1983) .

I need to know if it´s worthy to buy such guitars,
01-they have midi capability?
02-almost zero latency ?
03-Poliphony ?
04-Can i hook the midi guitar to an external instrument ( Roland GR-30 guitarsinth,midi keyboard)
and recording to a pc with their sound ?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Best regards to all.

Claudio

I have a Casio DG-20. You can't do bends on it. For synths that use a real electric guitar with MIDI pickup, you have to set the bend amount in advance on the pickup. It will only bend by that amount no matter how much you actually bend the string.

Thaks a lot.
Regards.

I have a Casio DG-20. You can't do bends on it. For synths that use a real electric guitar with MIDI pickup, you have to set the bend amount in advance on the pickup. It will only bend by that amount no matter how much you actually bend the string.

My 2 cents on the YRG Gen2

I've had the YRG GEN2 now for about a year and use it allot with Presonus' Studio One DAW as a midi controller and also have used it extensively with Reason and I've been really impressed with the tracking and ease of articulation you get with it. I do lots of World inspired music and trying to do a breathy flute or a smooth cello line on a small midi keyboard style controller for me just doesn't come off as natural but being a guitarist the YRG lets you use your skill and technique to really expand your creative abilities and do that kind of stuff!

And yeah it has steel strings on the pick hand side and touch sensitive frets (with a very realistic string feel too). There is a tapping mode, a tuning mode for alternate tunings, and a whole ton of other cool things you can do with it that again make it a really cool controller for guitarists - it will work on an external unit and has some polyphonic features. Hope that helps!

A little advice about the Strat-Roland pickup: I've been using one both live and (occasionally) recording for about 7 years. If you want it to work well, it's imperative you set the Strat string height and intonation up to factory specs; it just won't work well if you don't.

You also need to remember that this is not a guitar any more, it's a whole new instrument. You need to adjust your playing technique to the patch you select, and play *very* cleanly. It's a good idea to be familiar with the pitch range of other instruments so you don't play things that are impossible to realize on those instruments (such as full barre chords on a piano or organ patch -- unless you have hands 10 inches wide, there's no way to span 2 octaves on a 0ne-hand piano chord).

Finally, you have to keep in mind that bass notes have more latency than high notes (at least they do on my Roland GR-20). I compensate for this by playing a little ahead of the beat when doing a bass or low cello patch.

As a new instrument, you have to allow yourself time to learn what works and what doesn't. After all, you didn't learn guitar overnight either, right? You'll need to spend some time with various patches to find out what fretting and picking techniques work for each sound.

Thanks to all.I´ve been away from the forum for a long time .
I bought a YRG GEN2 and i´m struggling with the midi to pc (Studio One Presonus) again.....
Sometimes i even dream at night about the right setting for midi.

Best regards

Claudio

Thanks to all.I´ve been away from the forum for a long time .
I bought a YRG GEN2 and i´m struggling with the midi to pc (Studio One Presonus) again.....
Sometimes i even dream at night about the right setting for midi.

Best regards

Claudio

I tried that YRG. I returned it, pulled out my trusty old Roland PC-100 MIDI controller keyboard (like 25 years old), and used it again. The YRG concept seems good, but it just doesn't execute that well.

Back