MIDI for noobs?

ASG

Can someone give me a breif explanation on how to use a midi controller, i want to get an oxygen 49 controller to use with the soft synths in sonar but i dont know how to go about hooking one up, can someone explain channels and banks and patches and all that good stuff

Can someone give me a breif explanation on how to use a midi controller, i want to get an oxygen 49 controller to use with the soft synths in sonar but i dont know how to go about hooking one up, can someone explain channels and banks and patches and all that good stuff

Hey Mate, try youtube tutorials. too be honest they taught me everything i know. Ill link you a couple.

Banks are a large amount of sounds in 1 VST, VSTi or Soundfont file.

Someone else will have to answer the patches part :s

and with the connection part, you need to specify what program your thinking of using.

this tutorials for fl studio.

Hope i helped a bit :D

A MIDI connection has 16 virtual channels. This basically means that you can send different MIDI messages to different devices over one cable by setting the sending and receiving units to the same channel.

Patches and banks aren't specific to MIDI, but apply to nearly all types of synthesizers, MIDI or not.

A patch is a like program that configures the various modules inside the synth to produce a certain sound. In the early days, the various modules were physically connected with patch cables. The configuration created by all of the connections taken together was called a patch. In modern synths the connections are made electronically, but we still call them patches. So, a patch basically denotes a single instrument voice. This usually includes the preset instruments as well.

A bank is basically a section of memory containing patches. In the old days, the processor inside the synth could access a very limited number of memory locations. The accessible memory space could be enlarged by switching between several banks of memory. While this is no longer necessary and actually makes for a poor user interface, many modern instruments still use a bank switching scheme.

alright so i got my controller hooked up and i already knew a bunch about soft synths so ive got all that straightened out now the only problem is when im playing theres a real bad delay on the notes, sometimes the note doesnt play until almost a second after ive pressed a key, any ideas whats wrong?

Sounds like a latency issue in your software setup. Look in the control panel (may be called preferences, settings, etc.) of the soft synth for a control labelled "latency compensation" or something similar. If your soft synth is made by a manufacturer that we have a specific forum for, you should post the question there.

k thanks im using sonar hs 7 xl. The soft synth is cakewalk tts just in case you or anyone else reading uses cakewalk products and might know about that? would the adjustable settings be on each ss individually or would i just have to adjust settings once?

Back