midi foot pedal for transport control

Brian Ferrell

Can anyone recommend a midi foot pedal that I can use with Sonar 2.2 to control the basic transport commands, i.e., Stop, Play, Record, Rewind? I have an ART X-11 pedal that works fine for the first 3 commands but won't work with Rewind because that needs to be configured with a pedal that, when pressed, sends a signal and when released, sends another signal. The X-11's pedals, when pressed, are 'On' and can only be switched 'Off' by pressing another pedal.

Behringer makes an 8 channel and two expression pedal(it might be one im not sure) midi foot pedal for 149. ive never used it though. I just saw it the other day.

Yup, Behringer FCB-1010. I bought mine last year for $125 at musiciansfriend.
(I use it to control a Yamaha vl70m windsynth box.)

It can be programmed to send ANY midi command, so it's just a matter of working with it to get what you want (although the programming of it is pretty 1980s, too bad they don't make a PC program to control it...)

I wrote to Behringer about this. This is the reply they gave:

'Dear Brian Ferrell,

Thanks for writing.

The FCB1010 can only a MIDI message when the pedal is depressed. To send a second message, such as you would need for your rewind "release", you would need to program a second preset. This way you could program one preset pedal to send the rewind "depressed" signal and a second pedal preset to send the rewind "released" signal.

We hope that we have been able to help you with this information.

Best regards,

Your BEHRINGER Customer Support Team'

This is how my ART X-11 pedal works- it only sends a MIDI message when the pedal is depressed. I thought I tried all the options of setting one pedal for 'depressed' and another for 'released', but either there isn't any way to do it with the ART or I'm not doing it right. If this is the case, I'd better go back to the drawing board before I plunk down $125 for the Behringer and not be able to program that correctly either.
Tim, have you used the Behringer for rewind commands in Sonar?

I don't use Sonar, but any app that responds to midi control commands will work the same way.

I do use the upper keys of my midi keyboard for transport control in N-Track and it works sweet with no problems, so its just a matter of reading the manual of your sequencer and making it work.

Yes, but your keyboard keys are press and release, right? The Behringer and the ART aren't. With Sonar I'm able to make Rewind work by pressing 'W' on my PC keyboard, but that's press and release, too. I've looked through the documentation on both the ART and Sonar and I haven't seen anything that I can understand as a method for configuring one button for 'press' and another for 'release'. Anyway, that seems pretty awkward having to press 2 buttons every time you want to rewind. Did I just say that????? Man, I AM getting lazy! :eek:

Back