midi filter for guitar syntch and fx

crosstudio

midi filter for guitar synth and fx

So i had this great idea.

instead of finding a 2nd keyboard player, i'll midi up my guitar.

WORKS GREAT, i even find some pad sounds that give an added essence to my normal guitar sound. for guitar fx, i had an alesis quadraverb velcro strapped to the side of my fender hot rod deville. but I've got to switch sounds on the synth processor, then switch sounds on the control unit for my guitar fx. no worries, i midi up the guitar synth to the quadraverb so that switching midi sounds will switch to the proper guitar fx too.

WORKS GREAT except that i have to keep the two boxes' program control change numberes in sync.

now I'm greedy. I don't want to have to lug my midi processor, wah pedal, volume pedal, fx processor, and amp to every gig because some clubs are small enough to just use a direct box.

So i buy a digitech gnx1 which has the ability to remap program control change numbers so that I don't have to sync them. Now I can get rid of the quadraverb, wah, and volume pedals and just have the midi synth and guitar fx floor units.

Except...

now when i press the volume/expression pedal on the roland gr-33 guitar synth, the volume on the gnx1 goes down too. When I hit the midi switch on my guitar to turn the synth off, it turns the guitar fx processor output off too.

Not being one to call it quits when I can throw more money at the problem, I am buying a midi filter which is a small box that goes between the midi out of the midi synth and the midi in of the guitar fx and strips out any midi messages that I don't want sent.

I said all that to say... anyone use one of these things b4???

Last edited:
Have you looked at either the GR-33 or the gnz1 to see if they have any kind of 'send/don't' send switches built in?

The problem with pressing the volume switch on one it sends a controller signal to both unsually means that they are both on the same midi channel - have you checked that?

I would add another box to what sounds complicated enough only as a last resort. I'll bet there's a much simpler workaround.

Back