Midi Cut Off

slinky

Hi again,
can anyone tell me how to program cut off in to a midi track so that it is automated. This is in cubase sx.
Thanks

cut off

Ok, well, in cubase sx the only place I have found the effect i am looking for is in the track control window of the inserts. When you tweak the cut off button you get that effect. I like to describe it as filter but it is also known as EQ or WAH WAH (with guitar) I would like to be able to program this effect so I don`t have to tweak in real time which is obviously very tricky and not good.

Last edited:
slinky said:
Ok, well, in cubase sx the only place I have found the effect i am looking for is in the track control window of the inserts. When you tweak the cut off button you get that effect. I like to describe it as filter but it is also known as EQ or WAH WAH (with guitar) I would like to be able to program this effect so I don`t have to tweak in real time which is obviously very tricky and not good.

You mean an envelope filter?? :confused:

I like to describe it as filter but it is also known as EQ or WAH WAH (with guitar)

Ok, those are three completely different things and none of those has anything to do with midi.

There are several plugins that are included on the cubase CD that will do what you are looking for, check the manual for "included plugins" and "plugin automation"

Enlighten me.

altitude909 said:
Ok, those are three completely different things and none of those has anything to do with midi.

Ok please can you tell me what that effect is called which takes a sound from a low to a high frequency or visa versa. I called it cut off because the tweaker in the midi effects under track control is called this. I know of a hardware product which does this called a filter. How can you say that EQ , WAH WAH and Filter are completely different? Would you mind expanding a little please?

Cheers

TelePaul said:
You mean an envelope filter?? :confused:
Erm I don`t know - sounds good though. The closest way of describing it is a wah wah effect like on a guitar but is used typically on keyboard sounds or often the whole mix is squashed and spat out again like in contemporary dance music.

i don't have any idea what you're looking to achieve but if you're getting the effect you want with the cufoff knob in the track control plugin, see if you can automate the cutoff knob. press the "w" button (automation write), hit record, and play around with the knob. at playback, press the track's "r" button (read automation).

I think you're referring to filter cutoff. A filter can be Low-pass, High-pass, Band-pass, Notch... and other hybrids. What kinds of filters (if any) are available depend on the plugins (instruments, effects)... Different plugins will have different MIDI controller assigned to this knob (if they support MIDI at all... most VSTis do, but many VST effects don't). You need to find out what MIDI controller is assigned to that knob (or perhaps use MIDI learn) or if available use track automation to automate the movements of this knob.

In any case, read up on plugin automation in the manual or in the help menu... and pick up a bunch of electronic music related magazines and start reading them too. From the sounds of it, you could use all the education you can get :)

What is the sound source? A VST instrument? Outboard synth?

MIDI is not audio. Wat you want to do has to be either done at the sound source (if your sound source allows for realtime control of sound characteristics) or applied to the bounced audio track in the form of a VST effect

Until you tell us where the sound is coming from, there is nothing anybody can do or say to help.

under inserts, look for step filter or tonic. That is what you are looking for and it is called a resonant filter btw. You will be able to "ride" the cutoff via the automation:

Right click on the audio (not midi) track that you have used the insert on, select show automation and click on the pull down menu and select Inserts: Tonic - Cutoff.

slinky said:
My sound source is the yamaha sw1000xg sound card and in this case I am dealing only in midi

Well, unless the filter is controllable via midi on that thing(which I doubt) then you will not be able to. If it is, then you will be able to do it inside the midi track by pulling up the appropriate CC lane

Back