MIDI Controllers...knobs vs notes

terragf

SOrry if this is a double post...my original isn't showing up...

Anyways, I'm getting started in generating computer music for live preformances. From the programs I've looked at, FruityLoops seems to be the way to go for live preformances, as it's quick to layer, and FXs can be added remotely...and that (from my limited experience so far) seems to be a vital thing for live preformances. I currently have a Yamaha PSR 2000 that I've been using as the MIDI controller so far, except that Fruity Loops only seems to allow remote controls for knobs...not notes...giving me 2 remote controls

Is there a better program out there? Or should I invest in another MIDI Controller that is primarily (or totally) knobs and sliders?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'FX can be added remotely'...

There are many musical software packages out there, but as far as an all-in-one solution not many that are on a par with FL.

Your Yamaha PSR is a fairly good controller but you're right about it not having the knobs to control FL properly. Something like this would be a good step up in control --- and despite the text in the ad it doesn't have just eight knobs, but rather 5 banks of 8 knobs controllable via front panel switches.

And here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. They may be a little too basic for you, but we can all use a refresher course now and then...

thanks, I meant that you could increase and decrease the effect volume (and other aspects of the effect) via a MIDI controller, but I'll look into that device there.

Back