MIDI controllers for computer

solaris0031

I'm an electronic musician and i spend many hours (each day :D ) working on music on my computer. So i've decided i should get myself a midi keyboard and stop with this typing-keyboard-to-midi and mouse work drudgery. I would like to have full size keys (big hands), and some extra controls on the board (for tweaking various parameters in my programs), as this wil be used for live shows (with a laptop) if/when im doing them. i have $350 right now, but i can go as high as maybe $500-$550 (although if i can stay closer to what i have, that would be nice).

at the moment, the alesis photon x49 is looking good, but i cant find any reviews on it. :confused: should i be worried?
its got loads of buttons (10 backlit, plus transport, plus another 10 key keypad), knobs (10, and endless) and faders (9), and a really nifty looking hand tracking jigger.

also the korg kontrol49 (big brother of the microkontrol) is looking very nice.
the drum pads are a plus, and they dont have to be that great, since the music i do doesnt really rely on a lot of dynamics on the drums aside from ghost notes. its also got buttons, endless knobs, and faders. the advantage here is that the korg has user defined lcd labels for all the controls (and they are supposedly easy to work with)

so what do i do? between those two, what do you think? and would i be better of with something else?

You've got the two current contenders there, and in my humble opinion you couldn't go wrong either way. The other one that may be in your price range is this one or maybe this one. Edirol is a division of Roland.

im also going to start taking piano/keyboard lessons, so does anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of weighted, semi weighted, and synth action keys?

im also thinking it would be nice to be able to run the midi out to things like a korg electribe EA mkII (groovebox synth thing)

solaris0031 said:
im also going to start taking piano/keyboard lessons, so does anybody have any advice on the pros and cons of weighted, semi weighted, and synth action keys?

im also thinking it would be nice to be able to run the midi out to things like a korg electribe EA mkII (groovebox synth thing)

weighted: great forpiano, terrible for organ
semi-weighted: acceptable for piano, great for organ
non-weighted: terrible for piano, acceptable for organ

for me at least, action isn't a big deal for synth parts; i'm only picky when it comes to piano and organ. for for semi-weighted if you play organ, or fully weighted if you're mainly a piano guy.

Back