MIdi controller questions

Guitars2k4

HI... I'm using sonar home studio 4 and have being doing audio recording for the better part of a year...

I'm about to expand into midi and I want to get a midi controller... but I have some newby quesitons...

please correct me if I'm wrong... but my midi controller/keyboard will allow me to play along and RECORD in real time with existing audio tracks? while utilizing real time effects from any soft synth or patch bank (from my soundcard) I choose?

Would my then recorded midi data have the soft synth effect recorded on it? or would it be clean midi data and my soft synth would be applied during playback?

and I can send the midi information through my eridol VS to play via my audio speakers since my midi keyboard won't have any speakers?

Thanks in advance

greg

A little confusing.... yes you should get a controller with internal sounds.

play along and record with existing audio tracks?..... Yes

while utilizing real time effects from any soft synth or patch bank (from my soundcard) I choose? ...... Yes, if I understand you correctly.

Would my then recorded midi data have the soft synth effect recorded on it? NO

or would it be clean midi data and my soft synth would be applied during playback?...... Yes...... kind of.... as you learn more about MIDI this will become more clear.

and I can send the midi information through my eridol VS to play via my audio speakers since my midi keyboard won't have any speakers? NO... Midi is NOT audio. You can trigger the sounds via MIDI and monitor the sound output via sound cards or softsynths.

Guitars2k4 said:
HI... I'm using sonar home studio 4 and have being doing audio recording for the better part of a year...
Here are links to three good articles on midi basics - part one and part two and part three. They may be a little basic for you, but we can all use a refresher course now and then...

As far as using a softsynth track in your arrangement, there are more ways than one to skin a cat. An increasing number of audio/midi sequencers allow a single track to be rendered to disc and either replace the midi track (and the associated softsynth) in the current arrangement or be added onto it. Sonar 4 or Sonar 5 offers this function but I'm not quite sure which one - or maybe they both do!

Back