MIDI controller : 61-key vs. 76-key [usb or midi?]

Badtz

I'm debating between the Evolution MK-249C or the M-Audio 61-key USB midi
controller [forgot the model] versus the Roland A-37 [with 76 keys].. .......

is there an advantage to go with USB instead of midi? and how's the build
quality? [as
I know roland's keyboard is well built] Does the 61-key/76-key matter?

[primarily for electronic music]

Thanks! :)

I am unaware of any USB only controllers. If there are any, I'd stear clear of them. You can always adapt a standard MIDI port to work with a computer (even USB), but you can't get a USB port to work with standard MIDI inputs.

As far as 61 over 76, more is usually better. However, it really depends on your keyboard skills and what you demand (read must have) out of a keyboard.

I use all 88 keys when I have them.

Between the Evolution and M-Audio, I would opt Evolution every time. Much more bang for the buck.

As for the Roland, I love Roland gear, but not their controllers. This is my opinion though. I mostly dislike the "pitch paddal".

I prefer a wheel or barring that a stick over these paddels.

YMMV

Carl

Unfortunately, evolution & m-audio don't make 76-key midi controllers [@ least that i know of :(]

I heard the evolution keyboards are not built well??

What I DO like about the evolution/MAudio controllers are the addition of the midi knobs on them, which the roland doesn't have [I would probably just buy a separate midi rotary dials, like the Kenson Control Freak, or something like that].

any suggestions?

*just found the website links to the evolution/Maudio controllers*

http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/radium.php

http://www.evolution.co.uk/moreinfo/hardware/pro61c.htm

I have an Evolution MK-125 (cost me about $70).

As far as "not being built well", I wouldn't ever want to see what happens to a Roland controller if it falls down a flight of steps. My MK-125 did accidentally take such a trip about 8 months ago. It suffered no damage and still works like a champ.

About the action of the Evolution. It's very plastic-y but that's about what I would expect from non weighted controllers. I know that it keeps up with me very well (and I tend to play extremely fast). The mod/pitch wheels are very responsive and the interface is very easy to learn.

I can't imagine what's not to like about Evolution.

Carl

I haven't yet used the evolution keyboards, but I read briefly from other's experiences.......

to bad they don't have a 76-key one out?! :(

Back