MIDI control surface

Answers

dont try e bay. unless you want some cracked out controaler
i would recomend looking at the Oxygin 8 (aplying your more of a synth type of course) its not the biggest keyboard but the 8 controal knobs and intuitive pitch and mod wheles have kept me happy enough if you wnat cheeper buy a stupid CASIO keyboard you know the kind they sell at radio shack BUT be warned sometimes they conflict with external moduals the most common glitch being youll play a note and it will go on an infinate sustain (or it wont shut up) untill you kill the power.

hope that helps

Re: Answers

Naghorvik_Soran said:
dont try e bay. unless you want some cracked out controaler
I dunno... I have bought lots of stuff off eBay from bootleg soccer jerseys to vintage Ludwig drum kits. I've only had a few problems, and they were all very minor.

Anywho, about the Oxygen8... I have one and I won't complain per se, as it's a neat little toy to carry around with my laptop, but it's not something I'd like to have as a main midi controller. The keys are toy-like and of course there aren't many of them (may or may not be a problem). The biggest problem I have is not being able to save knob settings!!! ARGHH!!! I would LOVE to use this with my SidStation but it's just a pain not being able to pull up different knob patches for the many instrument patches in the synth.

That's my $.02 on the Oxygen8. If you're not a "knobby-synth" guy then it's useless. If you are, you should probably spend a little more and get a more fullsized keyboard with a seperate knob-controller.

Cheers.

synthwave100 said:
Does anyone know of a good, but cheap MIDI control surface?

Thanks,

-Andrew

Yeah something like a Tascam U428 but w/o the audio functions. I'm looking for one also.

I personally love my Fostex VM200 digital mixer. I can assign the sliders and buttons on it to control Sonar's software mixer, as well as use it's I/O for 8 analog I/O, ADAT I/O to the computer, and S/PDIF I/O. The faders are motorized, so they could be controlled by the software as well.

These can be had on eBay for $500 or less. And as long as you take precautions, you should have good success on eBay. Never pay with anything that can't be canceled. I've used it for years, and have no bad luck so far. Also, know what it is worth and do get bid happy, as many do!

Back