Midi Control Question

ubik

I have a sampler that I control via midi with both a keyboard and my computer. My question is: Can I control it with both at the same time? Right now I have my computer midi interface "out" going to the "in" on the sampler. If I want to control the sampler with the keyboard, then I have to unplug the sampler from the computer and go "out" of the keyboard to the "in" on the sampler. This is a pain...

Can I use midi thru to solve the problem?

Thanks...

What would help you is to have a "thru" function in your computer software. What software are you using? I use Cubase and it has a thru function. When it's enabled, MIDI data coming in to the computer is passed back out to the "out" port.

The other (more expensive) way is to buy a MIDI patch bay. These usually have a merge capability so that the "outs" from both the keyboard and computer are merged together and can feed into the sampler. For a cheaper solution, I think they also make little MIDI merge boxes---about the size of a guitar player's stomp box---that will do a merge of two into one. I'd have to check on that, though.

Jim

JimH:

Thanks. I use the Yamaha XG software. It does have a thru function. I guess I assign it to the "in" that my keyboard is assigned to. I will try it later on...

Thanks for the help!!

Back