Midi Cables

mobodcubism

Hey guys,

I need midi cables to connect my Nord Lead 4 Rack to my audio interface however am slightly confused..

Apparently, midi cables come in different qualities and different amounts of "pins"? Are there not any standard midi cables or do I need to check my Nord and then from where choose what midi cables I need?

If someone could clarify this for me I would be for ever grateful :)

Thanks!

As far as I know, the 5-pin connector is the standard MIDI interconnect. From a quick glance, that's what the Nord appears to have. What audio interface do you have?

Clarification ahoy!
MIDI cables are just standard, pin for pin wired 5 pin DIN "A" 180 degree plugs. Those that were sold for tape connections (and a few turntables) are perfectly fine. The quality of the conductors, as with normal audio, matters not one jot. They do not even need a screen or a pin 2 return! Beware tho' that they must be 5 pin leads because the data is carried on pins 4 and 5.

The only DIN leads that won't work are the "crossed" DINs that were used for tape to tape transfer.

Note that very early computer keyboards used 5 pin DIN (at least in EU) and these might still be found for very little money at computer fairs.

Dave.

Looks like both the Nord and the M-Track Plus use run-of-the-mill 5-pin MIDI jacks. So any standard 5-pin MIDI cable will suffice. I just picked up a few 20' MIDI cables made by Hosa last week. I think they were about $6 apiece on Amazon. They're cheap and plentiful.

MIDI cables are sold as MIDI cables, do not use old DIN audio cables as MIDI cables. The plugs are the same but they are not wired the same. I had a problem years ago where an old DIN audio cables got mixed up with my MIDI cables, caused a big problem with one of my modules, it took me hours to realise that the problem was this particular cables and not the MIDI setup.

Alan.

MIDI cables are sold as MIDI cables, do not use old DIN audio cables as MIDI cables. The plugs are the same but they are not wired the same. I had a problem years ago where an old DIN audio cables got mixed up with my MIDI cables, caused a big problem with one of my modules, it took me hours to realise that the problem was this particular cables and not the MIDI setup.

Alan.

The STANDARD DIN tape to amp/amp to tape audio cable is wired pin for pin and work fine for MIDI. I have audio cables that are 30+ years old that work.

If you find an audio DIN cable that does not work for MIDI it is because it is a crossover cable, tape to tape, or it is faulty or miswired.

I have also made up many MIDI leads (using Belden V 9534 shielded 2 pair, super stuff!) and several MIDI "breakout" boxes. In all cases pin goes to pin. Works for me?

Dave.

Back