Midi Cables/Interface and keyboard question

Badtz

1. are there midi cables that are "better" than others? Or do I just pick up any generic midi cable? is there a great place online to shop for midi cables?

2. my midi keyboard (Novation Remote 61 SL) has midi inputs along with outputs and USB. Currently I'm using the USB but I also have a midi interface (MOTU Time Piece AV) ... is it better to use this interface, or stick with USB? Also, in the future, if I have more MIDI controllers is it okay to use the keyboard's midi inputs, or best to use the midi inputs on the MOTU? I'm asking because I'm trying to consider if I really need the MOTU Time Piece AV .....

thanks for any help :)

If you start getting into multiple synths, then using the MOTU midi interface will probably be better. This is because most synths still do not have USB, and they sometimes need their own drivers anyway. Using a midi interface, all you do is hook up the midi jacks and away you go.

Other than reliability issues, i.e. better made cables last longer, I really don't think there is going to be any difference between generics and more expensive midi cables. I use generics and also some Mogami midi cables, and I really haven't noticed a difference in their actual performance.

If that is the serial port version of the MOTU, it is rock-solid timing-wise. I'd use that.

All midi cables are pretty much the same. The only thing you may get with more expensive ones is increased durability.

Badtz said:
1. are there midi cables that are "better" than others? Or do I just pick up any generic midi cable? is there a great place online to shop for midi cables?

2. my midi keyboard (Novation Remote 61 SL) has midi inputs along with outputs and USB. Currently I'm using the USB but I also have a midi interface (MOTU Time Piece AV) ... is it better to use this interface, or stick with USB? Also, in the future, if I have more MIDI controllers is it okay to use the keyboard's midi inputs, or best to use the midi inputs on the MOTU? I'm asking because I'm trying to consider if I really need the MOTU Time Piece AV .....

thanks for any help :)

the MOTU Time Piece AV is the USB version. Which I bought awhile ago.

Would using the Novation Remote 61 SL's midi inputs be just as good (in terms of timing/reliability) for any additional controllers I may get in the future? It has one in port and one thru port.

I would say yes, the timing will be just as good using the midi jacks. Of course, since you already have the equipment, you could just try it out yourself.

The way I have my studio wired as far as midi is this:

My master keyboard midi output is connected to an input on one of my MOTU MTP AV/USB interfaces. All my other midi gear, including rack mount synths and samplers, is connected to various MOTU midi interfaces (Three MTP AV/USB, one Midi Express 128, and an MTP II networked to an MTP AV/USB). The interfaces are connected to the computer via USB, and the synths/samplers are connected to the interfaces via midi.

There are many advantages to this, and one is that it is very easy to add a synth to the setup. Just add a couple midi cables and go. So if you think you will be adding additional synths in the future, it will be much more convenient and practical to use the midi interface.

I should also add that I route the midi through my sequencer software, which is MOTU's Digital Performer. So in DP I set up midi tracks that correspond to my rack synths and samplers. When I want to play a particular instrument I just select it in the sequencer and the software takes care of the routing. You probably have it set up this way already, but I just thought I'd mention that.

If you don't have the sequencer/internal routing, would you control the routing on the interfaces themselves?

Back