MIDI cable length (max?)

Flux

Anyone experiment with maximum MIDI cable run lengths? I'm thinking of setting up my keyboard in another room and this could result in a cable run(s) of up to 50'. Wondering if it will cause problems....?

Yes, I think this will most likely be too much. M-Audio has a wireless midi thing that might be what you need.

Thanks guys. Wireless MIDI sounds cool, I'm gonna check that out. Got my tape measure out and it looks like 30' is about as mean as I can get (it's only slightly more than 25'....) The other option is to run FireWire instead - anyone know how far this type of cable can run?

there will be no 30ft firewire cables iknow that much, i use about a 6ft'r and all i think i saw was an 8 or 10, cant remeber which...so i dont think firewire is the answer for u....that wireless MIDI sounds pretty sweet

yeah, firewire is at most i think 4 meters, which is like 12 feet, and thats rare as hell.

maybe USB would be ok, like a powered port that you could plug into an outlet. theres plenty of MIDI-USB thingys out there.

You used to be able to buy MIDI boxes which basically amplified or boosted the MIDI signal specifically for long cable runs. Philip Rees used to make one, but I don't know if they still do, and I never used one, but if you can locate one, it would solve your problem.

Orc

Back