midi\asio\wdm and aa

Spaztic

This is kinda odd. I am getting a Delta44. Now I like AA and I want to use it as my multitracking software, which I know only uses WDm. But I also use FruityLoops which is best with ASIO? Is there a way to use ASIO for FL and WDM for AA, and does midi use asio or wdm to transfer data, because I want to use midi in FL? I am confused as hell.

Short answer... Yes.

Install both sets of drivers, and AA will recognize the WDM configuration. FL Studio or Cubase, etc will respond to ASIO drivers or MIDI.

Spaztic said:
so does MIDI rely on ASIO or WDM or is MIDI its own thing?
MIDI doesn't "rely" on either per se. But it is necessary to have one installed. Without any drivers, the hardware wouldn't be recognized, and MIDI cannot operate independently from that. So if you only choose to install the WDM drivers, you should be able to use the MIDI source as well.

The Delta card driver is WDM and multi-client. Both ASIO, DirectSound and MME features of the driver should be available to more than one program. AA uses MME (or Wave as Microsoft now prefer to call it).

I just had some fun playing a midi file in AA, using MidiYolk as the tracks midi out. I ran this into the standalone .exe of Sfz soundfont player (midi in set to the same midiyoke channel) using an M-audio Audiophile2496 ASIO (same driver as the Delta44). This works and proves the principle.

Back