MIDI & analog potentiometers?

mef_1975

I'm looking to replace the pots, (knobs), on an analog guitar effects rack with pots that can be automated with MIDI.

Is there such a thing as analog pots that can be controlled with MIDI?

I'd imagine that there might be a need for a motor to actually execute the MIDI commands?

What's up with the digital pots? I don't think I could use those?... Then there would have to be some sort of "Digital to Analog" conversion between the pots and the acutal analog guts...??????????

while I know jack about it, I do know that it is possible to control analog guitar pedals (stombox stuff) with midi. I also know that it is a very involved process, and requires a fair bit of knowledge about the electronics and programming.

But it can be done, I've seen it. A genious of a bass player I saw somehow managed to wire a bass pod xt, digi002, Moog Bass MuRF MF-105B, Boss CEB-3, Boss ODB-3, DigiTech XBW, and some other stuff, together. He also had some analog delay pedal in there.

Sure, no problem to wire a digi002 and podxt to a midi controller, but he had EVERYTHING hooked up to one of those behringer midi foot controllers :eek: !

When he first said: "watch me controll the delay time on that pedal with my foot!" I suddenly believed in magic.

I asked him what his secret was and he said max/msp :rolleyes: .

You can and there are systems out there. But you will need to be fluent in assembler, handy with a soldering iron, and have a good handle on microcontrollers.

There is no such thing as a digital pot, your probably thinking of an encoder

Depending on the effect and how it works, you may be able to hack into the CV (thats control voltage) that controls a particular parameter and then go with a midi/CV convertor

Cv

Wow, thanks for the info!!!... I hadn't thought of what CV is... and MAX/MSP is so mind boggling... I have plenty to learn.

I see that the BOSS PH-3 has an expression jack for controlling the phaser's rate. I wonder, can the other parameter's CV be "hacked" into? I wonder, is there a different site I should post such a question?

How do I go about "hacking" into a parameter's CV on a BOSS pedal? I guess I would need a multi-meter?

Thanks,
Mark

A meter will do it. Just connect to the one lead to the outside pin and one to the sweeper and look at the value. You will need to replace that with a D/A. Sometime the value will be on the pot also.

Check out ucapps.de which is the midibox hardware platform

you know, this looks a like a really killer project. the results would be a nice confidence booster, unless of course you f up the entire unit.

It's not too hard if you are comfortable around electronics and with stomp boxes, you can poke around if its on batteries. But anything with a CV in (or modulation/expression etc) can be driven with a midi/cv convertor.

There is a 8 channel programable one on the midibox site. I'm just finishing up my first midibox and I have to say, its a really neat system for all sorts of midi projects.

Back