Midge Ure (Ultravox) sound

tollbooth

hey guys - kind of a saturday afternoon posting

really obscure question, but i'm having a wonderful "back to the 80's" afternoon and loving that i don't have a session today (apart from the stack of mixing!).

does anyone have any idea what guitar rig Midge Ure used to use in ultravox, i just been reminded of some utterly wonderful controlled feedback stuff on a couple of singles. i know Boss ued to do a feedbacker pedal, but i used to have one of those and it never sounded like that, and it sounds waaaaaaaaay more controlled than amp feedback.

this was the 80s and it sounds like overtones being generated somewhere. it was a much richer sound compared to a lot of the 'pop' stuff of the time - compare it to andy taylor's guitar sound (who had a kick-ass tone when he went solo) of duran duran at about the same era.

did ure used to plug the guitar through a synth or something and use the filters??

anything of the Vienna / All Stood Still / Lament era has these amazingly dry but wild guitar tones.

the only other sound i've ever heard like it is David Torn's - just a beautiful tone that guy has.

awwwh - there goes my free afternoon

best regs

paul d

p.s. i do recognise a lot of folk on this board will be going "Midge Ure??? Is that some kind of infection or something?" can't remember how big Ultravox ever were in the US, but hey - you must have seen them on LiveAid in 85!

I used to dig UltraVox..Vienna,great album!...Prob. a Marshall JCM800 with various pedals,possibly a Dyna Comp ect..But alas,I don't know..consider this a bump :)

ultra-bump

hi henri

hahah - thanks for the bump, though it's possibly one of the least important questions i've asked here! i'm interested though, from a production point of view, some of the stuff that ultravox did was very slick and smart - especially the play off between keyboard solos and guitar solos, with keyboards mimicing guitars and vice versa.

there's some really nice interplay on Love's Great Adventure - all the way through you are straining to hear what is guitar and what is synth.

interesting point about the DynaComp - i've been trying to buy one of those on ebay for a while and keep losing (waaaaah!) - the Hexa stuff looked cool too.

it'sjust the quality and cleanlines of the playing that freaks me - very polished without ever sounding sterile or soul-less.

thanks for your reply

have fun

paul d
:o

Back