mid-diaphragm condenser mics

mgraffeo

So there are certain canonical uses for the LDC (vox), and the SDC(stereo pairs, overheads, acoustic inst.), based on a lot of people's experience with these mics. Of course, there are no hard and fast rules. My question is in regards to the hybrid Mid Diaphragm Condenser. Examples include the AKG C1000S and the Rode NT-3. I'm wondering whether there are applications out there that folks find themselves reaching for an MDC first, or often. Or, do folks find this mic type more of a "jack of all trades, master of none"-type mic.

Your thoughts are appreciated!!!

NOTE: I understand that most folks here do not like the C1000S, and I'd like to steer this from turning into a "bash the C1000S" thread. Thanks!

-mg

I really like C-1000's as tom tom mics. They're not bad in front amp either. AT-4033's are great on acoustics and drum overheads and also in front of an amp.

I've had great success with a NT-3 in front of a guitar cab.. That particular time it beat the living daylights out of an SM57.

mgraffeo said:
Or, do folks find this mic type more of a "jack of all trades, master of none"-type mic.

That's probably a fitting description, although everything is a master of at least something. The two that come to mind for me would be the Shure KSM32 and the AT 4033. I would say the ksm32 probably excels as a drum overhead, and that would likely be it's specialty if anything. It may fall short on accoustic guitar somewhat, but will generally sound good on anything. Much the same could be said for the 4033, although it's very likely a nudge better on accoustic guitar and/or vocals.

I'm a fan of the forgotten mid-size, AKG C2000B. Great for up front vocals when you want to cut through a mix, for softer cabs, and for high register percussion, like tambourine and shakers.- It is a jack of all trades, but what I really use it for is on singers or instruments where what's supposed to work doesn't, and I'm looking for options. If nothing else works, I try AKG C2000B and an SM57.-Richie

Back