Mics WANTED!!!

TheIllicitOne

Anyone willing to get rid of any of the following for a decent price?

Sennheiser md-421 U5
Sennheiser e609
Blue Bluebird

If so, let me know.

It's not on your list, but I have an AT4050 for sale. I love Blue Mics, but the Bluebird isn't so hot a mic in my opinion so I thought I would mention my 4050:)

I'd agree on the bluebird. A friend of mine brought it here for micing his sax and it didn't sound anywhere near as smooth as I anticipated. It's a nice mic, but I think it's overated and overpriced for how it sounds.

Then again, I expected it to sound "really good" rather than "above acceptable".

Still trying to unload that 4050, xstatic? If I had the money I'd take it off your hands.

First, I am asking $400 for the 4050. The 4050 is very different than the Bluebird. Blue is a wonderful company, and they tend to design there mics to really suit specific needs instead of trying to make them as versatile as possible. I actually like that a lot about Blue. Some of their mics (Blueberry, Mouse, Cactus etc...) have very tailored responses and "feels to them". The Bluebird also has been built like this. To me the Bluebird has a kind of tinny feel to it. The low mids seem a little buried, and sibilance tends to take off very easy when using it for vocals. Then again, it is also one of their cheaper mics. I am not a big fan of the baby bottle either, but like it better than the Bluebird. Both the baby bottle and the bluebird often sounded very "strained" on sources to me. Kind of like they were trying to do their job, but tended to sound like they were always struggling to keep things from getting really grainy and as a result the high frequencies especially always seem to come across a little harsh. What I like better about the baby bottle is that the low mids feel much better and pretty natural. In fact, were it not for the high frequency issues I would probably buy a pair of Baby Bottles and be very happy with them:)

The Audio Technica 4050 is a totally different mic. First, it is multi pattern. Changing patterns not only allows the pick up pattern (and rejection) to change, but also makes the mic sound different, even from the front. This tends to offer more tonal flexibility, but can also create problems with room interaction if you aren't careful. The AT4050 is a pretty smooth natural mic. The lows aren't too exaggerated, and the highs are more natural instead of hyped and extended like a lot of newer mic designs. This can be both good and bad depending on what you are after. It isn't my favorite mic in the world, but it is a very solid performer and will sound good on anything. If it doesn't, it isn't the mics fault;)

Due to all the other mics I have in stock, my AT4050 deosn;t get used as much as it should. Down the road I will probably rebuy a pair, but right now I need to pay for my new vintage U87 and a Universal Audio 2192 converter/clock. I don't really like sellign things off (I am a pack rat), but there are just too many things on my wish list right now that I need to sell off some stuff that doesn't get used too much to pay for the new toys.

Good luck:) Also, even if you don't buy my mic, I would look for something a little more versatile for your first couple of mics, and look for mics that can grow with you:)

Well as of right now my Mic arsenal is the following:
2 sm57s
2 sm58s
1 Sennheiser MD421 U5 (looking to add another)
(currently looking to add a sennheiser e609 too)
I need a good condenser though (vocals, acoustics, ambience, etc).

Back