Mics that pick up detail..

The FuzzBoxx

Hi guys, Could someone help me on chooseing a Condenser or a ribbon mic that picks up detail (electric Guitar )that wont break the bank.. thanks

Couldn't you DI the guitar? Detail is more a function of the sampling rate and ADC IMO. aka soundcard / recorder.

True story: I was fortunate to have grown up with a friend who's father had a major studio, this was in the 80's. Neve 40 ch board, 24 track 2", everything. The mics were all hand chosen by family friend Allen Sides, who is Mr. Microphone and owns the largest collection of Neumanns in the world. The mics were all vintage mics like U48's etc...

So Santana comes in with a Fender amp, and what do they record him with?

SM57 - he says that's his sound.

When you say detail, I'm assuming you are a tone freak. You want to pick up nuances that your specific amp/guitar combo creates.

Unfortunately, most mics are colored and will accentuate various tonal modes.
Mic choice, placement and volume will vary sounds a lot.

I have rarely been able to get the exact tones from an amp by mic'ing it. You might be able to, but pushing an amp hard through 4 12's makes its own shape by its design. Mic'ing will be difficult for you.

Be wary of mic suggestions. Do a ton of research, maybe even borrow a few and try them out,

Good luck.

I will add that I have an SM57 but rarely use it on guitar amps. If I want bottom on the track I'll use a Neumann U87 and if I want it to be like a lighter strumming part I'll use a Neumann KM84. The KM84 really sounds fantastic on guitar amps.

Hi guys, Could someone help me on chooseing a Condenser or a ribbon mic that picks up detail (electric Guitar )that wont break the bank.. thanks

It depends what you mean by "won't break the bank" as these things are relative.

My personal choice would be a Sennheiser MKH 8040 or MKH 40 - both good at picking up detail and both neutral and accurate.

My MKH 40 was about £400 when I bought it in 1985 - so it's cost me about £16 a year - very cheap. But you will have to add at least £1,000 to that £400 to get it today. But the new 8040 is cheaper.

At a lower cost the Neumann KM 184 is a good all-rounder.

If you are on the bottom rung and have to go cheap - look at Sontronics.

I hope this helps.

John

Back