Mics I'm Totally Spoilt For Choice.

guess what I just learned again for the millionkajillionth time?

DJL WE KNOW YOU HATE STUDIO PROJECTS

Thought you all might like to know.

Last edited:
freshmattyp said:
I hadn't been back to that thread to see your question. Perhaps you should have included the whole posst for context:

I think it's pretty clear. Perhaps someone else would care to take a read and see if they understand what I was getting at. Class?
So what your saying is that those mics arn't that great and they will out grow those mics in a week or so?

capnreverb said:
guess what I just learnd again for the millionkajillionth time?
.DJL WE KNOW YOU HATE STUDIO PROJECTS

Thought you all might like to know.
Go rainman go...

Treeline said:
Well Gee. Let's take a wild guess. Wonder what he meant by that. How about...

The guy is asking for input and said he needed a versatile mic combination for vocals and acoustic guitar (and maybe some other stuff) and had only about $300 to spend. He's not a pro. He has no realistic budget. He needs some good versatile starter gear.

The answer was MXL 603s for acoustic guitar and a SP B1 or Marshall V67 for the vocals.

That's what I use, except that I don't own a V67. I've borrowed one a couple of times, but I usually use my B1s. And the 603 is great, particularly to wake up an acoustic guitar.

Price of a pair of 603s with shockmounts, together with a Studio Projects B1: ... Hmmm..... $290.

The mics work well. They should do nicely for starters.

Maybe that's what Matt meant.

I must commend your reading comprehension. You were able to decipher my exact meaning through all of my obfuscation and unclear writing. Excellent work!

DJL said:
So what your saying is that those mics arn't that great and they will out grow those mics in a week or so?

Objection your honor. DJL is leading the Witness.

Kidding.. I don't want to get in the middle of this.....

John Mayes said:
Objection your honor. DJL is leading the Witness.

Kidding.. I don't want to get in the middle of this.....
Sure you do... and that's why your getting involed... lol. :)

DJL said:

You should read Treeline's response. He summed it up nicely. What I'm saying is exactly not what you are saying. You may want to bone up on your reading comprehension.

This is fun. Like picking at a scab or chasing cockroaches. Anyone ever have a cockroach race?

Sorry, off topic.

I think.

If there were a moderator within a parsec of this place he'd whup our asses good and send us all to bed without dinner. But that ain't gonna happen, so have at it boys! Fill this forum to the top with shit.

DJL said:
What's the difference (sound-wise & etc) between the older C4's (like the C4's that John Mayes used to record that Mayes/C4 sound clip) and the modified or newer C4's that PMI is now selling?
Brent Casey said:
DJL - I have no idea what you're talking about. C4's are C4's whether they are new or old.

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335
No kidding?

Well, a while back your boss Alan Hyatt said…
alanhyatt said:
Regarding some of the comments on the C4's, unfortunately, those plots are old, and as you know, we are not to swift about updating our site and other things in a timely manner. We are just to busy makin more gear, but you would be correct if you base your comments on the old plots.

The new version Cardiod capsule is better and the rolloff is not steep at all until after 100Hz. They are steep when you engage the filter, but that is what is supposed to happen. All C4's are of the new version. Those plots were done on the first capsule designs last year. SO please do not make your decision on them..
And again, not too long ago Alan Hyatt said…
alanhyatt said:
Brent keeps updating the C4's along the way.

Treeline said:
This is fun. Like picking at a scab or chasing cockroaches. Anyone ever have a cockroach race?

Sorry, off topic.

I think.
Off topic? :D:D:D

No races, but when I was in Africa I used to shoot them off the walls with a pellet gun when they peeked out from behind cracks in the mud.

DJL said:
No kidding?

Well, a while back your boss Alan Hyatt said…
And again, not too long ago Alan Hyatt said…

No kidding.
I am well aware of what my boss said. Apparently you are not.
In the first quote, he is speaking of frequency plots that were done on an early capsule design which was later modified slightly for production.
Regarding the updates: yes. I have done some updates along the way to the C4's. Perhaps you should consider that there are changes which may be done to a mic that do not alter the sound.
DJL, are you an un-busy man?

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335

To Vicki:

I wonder if you got your AKGs yet. It will be interesting to hear your report, as I've noticed you've been researching which mics to get for quite some time.

To DJL:

Your venality towards Alan and his company is obvious. Taking a somewhat more balanced view, Alan simply believes in his products. His business model is to provide very good products and killer prices - to allow many of us to use decent, affordable gear to record and make music. Sure, he promotes his products. So what? Actually, Alan is fairly tasteful and subtle in his "promotion". I'm certainly not offended. You apparently are. You talk about lies, misrepresentations and the end of the world. Chicken Little stuff. You should learn how to separate a statement of fact from an opinion. It's not hard. Try it sometime. Might lower your blood pressure. Heck, let's try it:

Fact: C4s cost more than MXL 603s, but you get cardiod and omni caps with the C4s.

Opinion: I like C4s for solo fingerstyle acoutic guitar more than 603s.

Fact: DJL is a frequent poster at HR.

Opinion: DJL likes to hijack threads.

And there are some of us that disagree with Alan's opinions. In recents posts I've diasagreed with Alan regarding (i) the comparison of C4s to Schoeps CMC6/MK4s and (ii) whether modeled acoustic guitar can sound as good as a direct recorded acoustic guitar. My personal experience and opinions are different than Alan's on these points. Again, so what? Such a difference of opinion shouldn't mean a hill of beans to anyone. Actually, differences of opinion often lead to more discourse, which in turn leads to better understanding and fuller knowledge. Got a problem with that?

sdelsolray - Nicely said. And even though I'm relatively new around here, I predict that DJL won't get it and will be back with more of his venom.

DJL said:
As one who has recorded many platinum selling/grammy winning artists such as Frank Sinatra, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, I was really skeptical when the folks at Studio Projects brought their Chinese mics to my elaborate recording complex. I mean how good could they really be?
I mean, compared to my large, huge, selection of German and Austrian mics, how could they even compare? So I was ready to show these clowns to the door. But, they made the trip to all the way to my 6,000,000,000 dollar studio so I figured I would humour them. Elvin Jones happened to be hanging out (This is right before he died,RIP) so I decided to use some C4's as drum overheads. Elvin is like GOD, so I felt bad even thinking about using a mic that costs less than $3000 on his drums. But, reluctatnly I did. Boy was I surprised. I put a C1 in the sweet spot between the snare, kick, and High hat and The C4 overheads. In one word "Wow!". Elvin was blown away too. He like them so much that he begged Alan for some C4's right there. Of course Alan gave them to him for free. Its Elvin Jones for pete's sake.

So, I thought,this must be a fluke. So, I called Pablo Yo Yo Ma over and to bring his big fiddle with him (thats our pet name for his cello..) He came over and I set him up in the string instument studio of my complex in front of T3 tube mic and let him rip on this tough Bach variation and fugue, and once again, "Wow". Yo was impressed to. How can this be. There must be Neumann or Schoeps guts inside that thing. He's got to be cheating.

So, skeptical, I called up Aretha Franklin and she zipped right over. I thought I would mess with Alan Hyatt and use his cheap ass B1 on her, that should show the warts on these cheap mics. Well, she busted into a slow bluesy version of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. and my jaw hit the floor. That fricken mic is a dyanmite stick. Wow!!!! She heard the playback and says her voice has not sounded so good since Ahmet Ertigun was doing the work.

So for a final test, I used a LSD-2 for a duet I had planned for that day with the great sitarist Ravi Shankar and the hip hop artist Ol' Dirty Bastard. I put them in the same room with the mic between them as they did their thing. The way Ol' Dirty's voice resonated with the drones on Ravi's sitar was pure magic. Granted, it takes artists of this quality to make music of this quality, but the mic sounded just great. The stereo seperation was perfect. Low's were deep with no boom, the highs were clear with no shrill. Ol dirty rolled up the fatest spliff ever after the playback, and he, Ravi, Alan Hyatt, and I got high as fuck and listened back to the playback like 30 times. It just got better each time. I found out that Ravi really knows his mics and all ready owned the whole Studio Project C series. He told me a funny story about going to guitar center to buy a matched pair of okatavis and the guy there giving him a hard time, but I will save that for later.

What can I say. Studio Projects has really come through with some great mics. I will be using his products exclusively from now on.

I found this thread that DJL started about 80 pages back.

Back