Mics for Vocals

A "great vocal mic" list would typically include;

1) Neumann U47 (or U67)
2) RCA 44 (or RCA 77) ribbon
3) Telefunken Elam 251
4) AKG C12

Chris

P.S. Now what sounds great on YOU can differ.
Could be a humble Shure SM57.

I don't normally do this, but if someone just says they want a great vocal mic, my first inclination is to say SM-7.

Asking for a recommendation for a 'great mic' without a price range is almost impossible to make a worthwhile answer.

fespinal4444 said:
Can anybody recommend a great mic for vocals?
I'm dying to get that proffesional studio sound.
Anybody?
What is a "proffesional studio sound"?

Yo FeSp!- Vocal mics range from $80 to $4000 and up. You have to specify a price range. Some people above have listed some mics that really are great, but unless you have the rest of the signal chain to go with it, a multi-thousand dollar mic can be like a Ferrari engine in a moped. Start at the beginning of the signal chain and work through it in order. The most important components, in order, are: The musician, the instrument, the room, the mic, the preamp, the Analog-Digital convertor (unless you're going to tape),+ The recorder, and any FX or processing, come last.
So if you want useful advice, tell us about the musician(s), the instruments, the room, the mics, the pres, and the recorder you have right now. If you give me a great musician with a great instrument in a great room, with a great preamp, and excellent A-D conversion. I'll record "professional" sound on any PC with an $80 mic.-Richie

Start at the beginning of the signal chain and work through it in order. [/B]
After the talent, insrtument, and room... the mic is the beginning of the audio chain... no?

Well, I do is MIDI, then I convert it into WAVE format.
I am happy with the sounds and the quality of my MUSIC and I'm a good singer. The thing is that when I record my voice over my music in Cubase, I don't get that satisfied feeling.
Curently I have an MXL 990, which cost me $90, but I'm willing to spend over $200.
Thanks, Guys

well unless you want to spend well over $200 most of the above suggestions will be wya out of your price range. There are many budget mics that can do a good job. I like A lot of the Rode mics. I have a NTK and I think it is very good for many vocals. here is a unmastered rough mix of a song iwth vox done with a NTK ran through a Sytek Preamp (burr brown channel) FMR audio RNC compressor and ran through waves rennisance reverb

you might want to also lok at osme of the studio projects, Audio technica, Shure, AKG mics. Let us know what the most you are willing to spend and we can make some better reccomendations. The NTK that you hear above I paid $400 for it but can be found even cheaper than that.

Your not going to get a very good mic and preamp for only $200... so you may have to learn to like the type of sound your already getting or come up with some more money.

Back