Mics for sale or trade

zbert

In the swamps of Jersey
I have a couple of mics for sale or trade. I’m most interested in upgrading my preamps.
I bought both of these mics from Koji here on the boards. If you know him you know he is into nice mics. I’ve done a few upgrades to my mic locker so I’m moving these along.
First mic is a Dave Thomas, Advanced Audio mic with additional mod from PhilGood. This mic stared out as a Nady TCM-1100. It is compared in sound to a U-67 (YMMDV).
Mic has a Peluso BV-8P transformer and a NOS GE JAN 6072 tube. Circuit is close to a vintage C-12 circuit. The capsule has been changed by Phil to a CEK 89 capsule. (Peluso's copy of a Neumann U-89 capsule) This mic is now a 9 pattern mic with a Shiny box 9 pattern power supply. 7 pin cable, shock mount and case included. This next part is from Koji’s original ad.
“The mic has a couple of slight cosmetic issues. First, due to admitted flaws in his painting system, Dave shipped the mic before the paint had fully set. As a result, the mic has a shockmount inprint on it. I also had to remove a little bit of the paint at the bottom in order to open it up, because he had kind of painted it sealed. Finally it has been rebranded (and obviously repainted) as an Advanced Audio CM-12, but it actually has the components of an Advanced Audio CM-67.”
$450 shipped to CONUS. Anywhere else I’ll have to get a price.

Next mic is a Royer mod of a Mojave MA200. This mic started out as a MXL V67 Mogami mic with a black case. It is point to point hand wired. This mic has a Jensen transformer and Peluso CEK-89 capsule. The tube is a Phillips ECG 3416. A hand build power supply, 5 pin cable, shock mount (needs new rubber band) and case all included. $500 Shipped CONUS. (which is a lot cheaper than the MA200) (and as Koji said in his original ad “and this may arguably have a better capsule”
Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• AA mic.jpg
    AA mic.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 346
  • ma22 mic.jpg
    ma22 mic.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 348
yeah-- these are great mics-- especially for the $. I put a whole lot more than $450 into the Dave Thomas/Philgood mic!
Dave Thomas now sells something like this (different, more expensive Peluso capsule-- the CEK-367, but cheaper Peluso transformer) for $900!

Also, zbert is a great guy to deal with.

I knew Dave Thomas from Wendys fame was a musician with his own home studio...but I didnt know he designed mics...or is this a different Dave?

I have a couple of mics for sale or trade. I’m most interested in upgrading my preamps.
I bought both of these mics from Koji here on the boards. If you know him you know he is into nice mics. I’ve done a few upgrades to my mic locker so I’m moving these along.
First mic is a Dave Thomas, Advanced Audio mic with additional mod from PhilGood. This mic stared out as a Nady TCM-1100. It is compared in sound to a U-67 (YMMDV).
Mic has a Peluso BV-8P transformer and a NOS GE JAN 6072 tube. Circuit is close to a vintage C-12 circuit. The capsule has been changed by Phil to a CEK 89 capsule. (Peluso's copy of a Neumann U-89 capsule) This mic is now a 9 pattern mic with a Shiny box 9 pattern power supply. 7 pin cable, shock mount and case included. This next part is from Koji’s original ad.
“The mic has a couple of slight cosmetic issues. First, due to admitted flaws in his painting system, Dave shipped the mic before the paint had fully set. As a result, the mic has a shockmount inprint on it. I also had to remove a little bit of the paint at the bottom in order to open it up, because he had kind of painted it sealed. Finally it has been rebranded (and obviously repainted) as an Advanced Audio CM-12, but it actually has the components of an Advanced Audio CM-67.”
$450 shipped to CONUS. Anywhere else I’ll have to get a price.

So I'm confused...is it a CM-12 or is it the CM-67 that sells for $595 direct from AA?

That mic is one that Dave Thomas modded and branded with his "Advanced Audio" logo before he was offering his current line. He was selling some non-tube mics with the badge, but not the tube models and modding tube mics for hire. IIRC, these days, unless you get one of his mics with the Peluso capsule upgrade, the mics he sells on his site have the stock Chinese capsules and it's a fairly pricey upgrade. IIRC, at the time I got mine he using mostly Apex mics (IIRC) for his mods and then he made a deal with a Chinese factory to get them directly.

Back