Mics For Recording

acho7

OK, I've made some progress. I've purchased the Focusrite Saffire Firewire audio interface and now would like some suggestions for microphones to record solo voice and acoustic guitar, budget $100-150 each.

Thanks again.

A7

I'd look at a SM57 or Audix i5 and an MXL 992/993 studio pack or something like that. You'll end up with a dynamic mic, small diaphragm condensor mic, and a large diaphragm condensor mic. The MXL's aren't great but very functional.

Last edited:
I might get a stone or two thrown at me here, but I would buy a lot of old Shure and EV mics, just whatever's in there. You'd get out for $100 for everything. They'd always be worth what you paid for them (unlike cheaper condensers which plummet in price over time) and you may find a couple that you really like. Start off with the dynamics and see what works and then go to a mid grade condenser. At least you'd have something different.

My music is folk and blues played on an old Martin. I need recording mics for voice and instrument.

A7

a pair of omnis

Hi,

I would start with a pair of omnis, try some stereo pair mic placements, and record the room while you play and sing. Then I would add a SDC Small Diaphram Condenser and a vocal mic.

Here's some mics I use. I play a Silvertone L5 and a Sigma and I sing in a low voice but I can sing loud.

Electro Voice 635a, omni dynamic, $50 and up used

Realistic 1070b, omni dynamic, I got a pair for $30 on ebay.

MXL 603, cardiod condenser, about $100 and available new in two packs with both mics $100-$200.

Audio Technica Pro37, cardiod condenser, $130 new, Under $100 used.

Since I come out of a performance background I love to sing through my performance mics. I second the old Shure and EV suggestion. I sing through a Shure 545, an SM56, and an EV PL80. Other mics of this type will also please you. They usually run $50-$100 used.

An SM57 would be first choice on a new mic at under $100 similar to the older mics listed above. Or an AKG D770 for a smoother sound.

If you play out and already have a performance mic try it.

I can't help you with more expensive vocal mics since I can't afford any. If you start with some less expensive mics you will make a more knowledgeable decision when you do buy a more expensive mic. Many LDC, large diaphram condensers, are recommended for vocals and guitar.

The MSH-1a sound great in the clips posted on this forum. I haven't used this mic but it is cheap and new and makes great recordings. Give them a listen. They might be your first stereo pair.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

acho7 said:
My music is folk and blues played on an old Martin. I need recording mics for voice and instrument.

A7

Are you recording the Martin and the vocal at once or one by one? I guess the former right? (folk and blues)

You'll need one microphone and place it in the sweet spot so teh vocal and guitar will be in balance, or you'll need two microphones in a stereo placement in the same sweet spot in order to make a stereo recording which will put your jaw on the floor because of the realistic sound.

Or you'll need two mics, one for the guitar and one for the voice and then you'll be in trouble, because you'll need mics that are rejective and have a very nice off axis response. (so forget about the SM57)

Recording vocals and acoustic guitar at once may seem easy, but in fact it's hard and difficult, because the voice will bleed into the guitar mic and the guitar will bled into the vocal mic.

And when you're on a budget, it's not easy. I would suggest the SP B1 for the guitar and perhaps an MXL V67 for vocals. Or one of the inexpensive SDC's for the guitar, but I've had pretty decent results with the B1 on acoustic.

acho7 said:

A7

I am somewhat suspicious of the ribbon fad, but here I think you really want a figure 8 ribbon (most of them are figure 8). Put the mic between your head and the guitar, singing into one side and the other aimed at the guitar. There are some cool pics of Dylan doing some of his early recordings that way.

If you are concerned about stereo, in a good room, a pair of omnis for room mics would be nice. Otherwise I would just use a good stereo reverb plug.

I think Studio Projects B1 is nice on accoustic Guitar, same goes for the Mxl 603.

On vocals I`ve had good results with the Mxl v67g.
Also shure sm58\57 is nice to have in the collection.

And I second APL statement on these MSH-1 mics, I havent used one yet but the recordings that I`ve heard it used on are just great, and its dirt cheap.

I know I will get me a few of those buggers :cool:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...41SP-AT2020-AT2021-Microphone-Pack?sku=270455

Some of the other techniques here are probably a little awkward for beginner use. The thought of using a good dynamic instead of the Large diameter condenser for the vocal would be OK, particularly if you are expecting to use the same setup for live perfomance too.

I think this would look really cool as a performance mic for a blues singer.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...hn=NXT&ovcpn=Sam+Ash+TL&ovcrn=41596&ovtac=CMP

Han said:
Are you recording the Martin and the vocal at once or one by one? I guess the former right? - Yes.

you'll need two microphones in a stereo placement in the same sweet spot in order to make a stereo recording which will put your jaw on the floor because of the realistic sound. - I like that alot.

Thanks for the suggestions. This "bleeding" sounds like a real issue.

A7

Back