Mics for recording AND live sound

franksquid

My first love is live sound for rock bands but I like recording too! Help me build up a microphone arsenal that would do GREAT at both jobs. Here's what I gots...

SM57 (2)
SM58 (2)
BETA 52
SM81 (2)
Beyer M88TG

I really need some good tom mics, vocal mics and another choice for eletric guitar. I've been kicking around the following choices, Beta58 and MD 421 (I love the sound of these but its hard to get over the SIZE issue. Its kind like mounting a BULLFROG on a mic stand) :D

Any other dynamics or road-ready condensers fit the bill?

I love the Sennheiser e609 for a live guitar amp mic. I have never tried it, but I have heard it is also a decent tom mic.

The MD 421 on bass kicks ass, and in that application size shouldn't be an issue :)
And I agree with pdadda, e609 is a great guitar-mic both on stage and in the studio. For toms I suppose you could go with the Beyer m201s. They're about the size of a 57 but they sound much better and are way more versatile (great on snare, cabs, overly bright acoustic guitars, even vocals,etc). Perhaps not ideal for live sound(might not be able to withstand a good hit), but they should do the job.
You SM81s will go a long way in the studio too, and a beta58 (should you buy it) can be a good alternative if you are recording a screamer who likes to hold his mic.

cheers

Last edited:
ragata said:
The MD 421 on bass kicks ass, and in that application size shouldn't be an issue :)
And I agree with pdadda, e609 is a great guitar-mic both on stage and in the studio. For toms I suppose you could go with the [red]Beyer m201s[/red]. They're about the size of a 57 but they sound much better and are way more versatile (great on snare, cabs, overly bright acoustic guitars, even vocals,etc). Perhaps not ideal for live sound(might not be able to withstand a good hit), but they should do the job.
You SM81s will go a long way in the studio too, and a beta58 (should you buy it) can be a good alternative if you are recording a screamer who likes to hold his mic.

cheers

Hmmm, Beyer M201s. Under $200 and very well respected here.

Would one Beyer M201 work well between two toms and how are they on cabs? I think the M88 is VERY close to an MD421 in sound, would it be safe to assUme that the M201 sound somewhere between an SM57 an M88?

I've been hearing mixed reviews of the e609. I would love to hear it for myself, I'll ask the salesperson at Guitar center if I can try it and bring it back if I don't like it.

franksquid said:
Would one Beyer M201 work well between two toms

They can, you have to get the position right since they have a tight pickup.

I think the M88 is VERY close to an MD421 in sound, would it be safe to assUme that the M201 sound somewhere between an SM57 an M88?

No, the M88 has a bigger, rounder low end than the 201, but both are also tight unlike the 57. So I'd say the 57 is between the 201 and the 88, but both Beyers are better mics.

Well I just snagged a Beyer M201TG off of ebay for under $200 delivered so we'll have to see how that works out for me. :D

Im still in limbo for another mic. Does the MD421 do well on vocals? The M88 is pretty good for live vocals. I used to use it on the "worn out" oldies singers and it cut through the emphysema pretty well. :rolleyes:

heres the plan...

vocals-M88,SM58,SM57
guitar cabs-SM57,M201,M88
snare-SM57,M201
toms-M201,SM58
floor tom-M88
kick-M88,BETA52
overheads-SM81s
bass-M88,BETA52,DI

after looking at what I just typed, it really looks like the MD421 would really fill in the gaps. My wife is going to kill me when she gets this months CC bill! :eek:

Seems like I read somewhere that the Sennheiser e609 was designed to sound like the MD421, to the point of even using the same capsule, but with some cost-cutting measures added to make it more affordable. For example, it has a much smaller, cheaper body, and has no humbucking coil.

This might be the answer to your problem. They're only $300 for 3 or $150 for one. If my information on this mic is incorrect, maybe somebody else can jump in and clarify this issue.

Brad

I'm going to try out my Beta 87c in the studio. It's a great live mic for use with in ear monitoring. Excellent freq response & clarity. I think it'll work like a charm for recording vocals...we'll see!

bassman is actually referring to the sennheiser 604's. They are "similar" in sound and design to a 421. On toms I actually prefer them. 609's are a good option for guitars as well. I am a big fan of beta57a's on snare top, and even for many different vocalists. The Beyer m88 will be a great kick, floor tom, and bass cab mic, as well as for certain guitars or for saxophones.

xstatic said:
bassman is actually referring to the sennheiser 604's. They are "similar" in sound and design to a 421. On toms I actually prefer them.
Thanks for the clarification, xstatic.

Brad

xstatic said:
bassman is actually referring to the sennheiser 604's. They are "similar" in sound and design to a 421. On toms I actually prefer them. 609's are a good option for guitars as well. I am a big fan of beta57a's on snare top, and even for many different vocalists. The Beyer m88 will be a great kick, floor tom, and bass cab mic, as well as for certain guitars or for saxophones.

A good friend of mine does live sound out in IL and really likes those "little senn's". He's the one who talked me into the BETA52 and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I'm not into cutting corners but I'll check the 604's out. Maybe he can send me one to play with. :)

zimmo said:
I'm going to try out my Beta 87c in the studio. It's a great live mic for use with in ear monitoring. Excellent freq response & clarity. I think it'll work like a charm for recording vocals...we'll see!

Zim - I've been curious too about this one. I suspect it will make great home studio vocal mic. But I only suspect it might. I've haven't been happy with the quality of vocals using the usual suspects of LDCs. The quality of my vocal has gone up using the C2000B, which is also a SDC as is the Beta 87c. It would be cool to hear what you think of the 87c as a home studio vocal mic. Please post your thoughts as soon as you got some time to try it out.

Bob

Back