Mics for overheads

Milkman

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for some SDCs to be used on drums, marimba and acoustic guitar. Budget is about $500 Canadian.

I'm trying to decide between the Rode NT3/NT5 and the MXL 603. I've heard rave reviews about the 603's, but not so much about the Rode SDCs.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Milkman

Thanks apl. By the way, signal chain is mic-Mackie 1202-Audiophile 2496. Other mics I own are an SM57, Rode NT-1a.

it depends on what type of sound you want from them,
The 603 has a very bright top end and is sometimes too exaggerated with HF pickup.
from what I have heard, the NT3 is quite good and the NT5s are also quite nice.
I am not certain about the sonic differences between the NT5 and NT3, but i know that in comparison the rodes have an overall smoothness to them, whereas the 603 is sometimes shrill.

I have the 603s and the drummer in my band has the NT5s. We've used both for drum overheads several times each.

Honestly, there's not a HUGE difference between them. I believe I payed less the $200 for my 603s-- and that included shock mounts and the case. My drummer paid about $500 for his NT5s and that only included a case (no shockmounts).

I like the NT5s better, but I'm not sure it justifies the price difference. The 603s are definitely brighter than the NT5s. But again, to my ears, the difference is not huge.

Check these out

I've been tracking lately with a pair of Peluso CMC6s. They sound awesome on both overheads and acoustic guitars. Very detailed. I have no idea how they would sound on marimbas. They run about $500 for a pair.

Cheers, Rez

Milkman said:
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for some SDCs to be used on drums, marimba and acoustic guitar. Budget is about $500 Canadian.

I'm trying to decide between the Rode NT3/NT5 and the MXL 603. I've heard rave reviews about the 603's, but not so much about the Rode SDCs.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Milkman
I have the NT3's, NT5's and MXL603S.... but, I recommend the Oktava MC-012's for drum overheads.

Milkman said:
Thanks DJL. What would you suggest between the Rodes and the MXLs?
Depending on the cymbals, drummer, etc... sometimes the 603S's can be a little bright/hash on cymbals for my taste... whereas, like the MC-012's, the NT5's don't have that problem.

Milkman, for around $500 USD – $100 over your budget – a matched pair of Peluso CEMC6's are going to yield considerably better performance than the mics you're considering. If you can't swing that then I'd agree with DJL and recommend you find a good pair of Oktava MC012's.

Studio Projects C4's might be a good option. I use mine primarily as Drum Overheads, they come with shockmounts and both cardoid and omni capsules. They sell for $289 US$.

I have read so many good things about the Oktava's, but you have to get a quality matched pair, not just two random ones from a store or the net.

Back