mics for frequency analysis

kenoir

hi:

Does anyone know is it possible to use a simple mic like a sm58 to feed the computer program with the noise I sent out from the speaker?

Also, are there any free software for that job?

I'm pretty new to that, hope someone is kind enough to give some indication.

Thx a lot!

Kenoir

Something along the lines of an Earthworks SRO is what you're looking for.

Of course, Behringer makes one that they claim is just as good... :rolleyes:

An Audio Control CM10, Earthworks M30 /M50, Behringer ECM8000, dbx RTAM, Samson MM01, Nady CM100, etc measurement mics will work way better than an SM58. In fact they are really the only way to take measurements.
An SM58 is just about the worst candidate for frequency measurement.
If you're looking for cheap but good, I'd get the the Behringer (I have a set the ONLY behringer things I own :p). Or if you want to spend a bit more an Audio Control or Earthworks are much better lab use quality.

Last edited:
Massive Master said:
Something along the lines of an Earthworks SRO is what you're looking for.

Of course, Behringer makes one that they claim is just as good... :rolleyes:

It's actually a pretty damn good mic. And not just for measurements...

Tim Gillett said:
Are you tuning a monitor speaker?

Tim

I'm just trying to coperate the computer with my PA set up and try to get the freq response and tune some EQ of the FOH speaker accordingly

Coz room pretty unusual in shape in terms of a venue for musical act. about 1000 feet big, 2 Floors with the 2nd floor hollowed allowing the people to look from the top to downstairs.

Ken

kenoir said:
I'm just trying to coperate the computer with my PA set up and try to get the freq response and tune some EQ of the FOH speaker accordingly

Coz room pretty unusual in shape in terms of a venue for musical act. about 1000 feet big, 2 Floors with the 2nd floor hollowed allowing the people to look from the top to downstairs.

Ken

What are you using for measurement software?

If you don't want to spend much money the ECM8000 would be the way to go. DBX makes a similar mic for a bit more money, and then of course the sky is the limit when you get into the Earthworks and others.

Back