Mic's for drums

Bloomington

Looking for some advice on types of mic's to use for drums.

I would like to use them for both recording (primary concern) but also for live micing of drums for a contemporary music group in our church.

For now I would like to stick with a mic for the kick and a couple of overheads. (I have a 57 to close mic the snare if need be).

If possible I would like to stay in a price range of $500 for the three mic's - although would consider a bit more if I am dreaming with $500 :rolleyes:

Any advice anyone has is appreciated.

Thanks for the help you guys give here when you could be spending that time doing your own recording!!!!!!

Brad :)

These are mics that I use or have used in the past. I can't comment on others, but these will blow your $500 budget.

Use your '57 on the snare/HH
MD-421 for the toms
A pair of MKH 110's for overheads
EV RE-20 for the kick. An MD-421 can be used as well, but I've had better luck with the RE-20.

Someone here can get you closer to your budget I'm sure.

I use a Senheiser 603 in the kick. The AKG D112 is about the same price $220. You can get a good sound and stay way below your budget if you use an AT pro25 mic for the kick. Last time I looked the went about $75. A pair of MXL 603's for the overheads. The sell for about $80 each. With the 57 you have for the snare you'll be set.

Depending on your room a pair of Behringer ECM 8000's may do a very nice job for overheads.Add the AT pro 25 for kick and with your 57 on snare and you'll have a very servicable set up for drum miccing.

overheads....

for overheads, a pair of Oktava MC012'a are great, and they're on sale at GC for $99 a mic...

but usually, they're a little funky...test two of them from GC, and return if they're out of phase (or invert if ya have a phase button...LOL) -

you can get two balanced for $600, but that wouldn't fit your budget....

just offering advice...and the AKG D112 is one of the best bass drum mic's, period....

you can always get a better sound with that and an sm57 in the drum itself, but if yer just looking for bass and punck, that mic will do...

SM57 is fine for a snare....BTW

RB

I think zbert meant the Senheiser e602 for the kick drum. I use that and its a fantastic mic for kick. The ECM8000 Randy recommended work well for recording, but i have not found them very useful for sound reinforcement. Everytime ive tried them for live sound reinforcment, even on close miced piano, ive had mega feedback with very little gain. The only time i could think that you could use them is if the church was very dead. But of course they could work in some rooms, but becarefull. I tried them for reinforcing a choir in a tabernacle once and i could barely get the gain past 9 oclock. I would go for a pair of MXL603s like mentioned by zbert. They will run you a little more money but they sound great and they are cardiod.

The SM57 will be great on snare and i really wouldnt worry too much about tom micing. If you later on decide to do tom micing, SM57s work great, but are my 2nd alternative. If you can save up, i would get Senheisers MD421s for the toms which are just great mics in general, but they will run you about $300 a piece if im correct.

Danny

another thing to add, if you are lazy... just go and buy the shure drumkit... 900 bucks... with 3 or was it 4 sm57 and a bassdrum mic...

Kick: Shure Beta52, AKG D112, Sennheiser E602, MD421, EV RE20

Snare: Shure SM57, Beta57

Hi-Hat: Shure SM81

Toms: Sennheiser E604, MD421, Shure Beta56, SM57, Beta57

OverHeads: Marshall MXL603S, Oktava MK012, Rode NT5, Shure SM81

For recording "Live drums" and Studio drums the mic's I would sugest that won't blow your budget and will have an awsome sound are AKG Micro Drum Pack it includes a kick mic three snare/tom mic's and two condenser mic's I use this out live all the time and I am very pleased with my purchace it sells for around $400 u.s and the three snare/tom mic's have clips on them so placing them on the drums is a snap the only stands you would need you basically already have three boom mic stands and there you go. I have never had any problem getting a great sound out of these mic's and I have put them through torture like you wouldn't believe and they hold up and sound great

Bob A. Vader Those Nady Microphones are good for live use I have used their 7 pack before the one for around $200 and they worked just fine for "Live" use. In the studio however I never really put them to the test because I sold them to get my AKG Mic Set I hope this helps out...Oh and Nady's Condensor mics that come with the package (overheads) are awsome I still have them and will update you on how they held up in the studio

Animal

DJL said:
Kick: Shure Beta52, AKG D112, Sennheiser E602, MD421, EV RE20

Snare: Shure SM57, Beta57

Hi-Hat: Shure SM81

Toms: Sennheiser E604, MD421, Shure Beta56, SM57, Beta57

OverHeads: Marshall MXL603S, Oktava MK012, Rode NT5, Shure SM81
How 'bout:

Kick: modded U67 2" in front. RE-20 inside

Snare: Klaus Heine-U87

Hi-Hat= KM140

Toms: MD-421's

Overheads: AKG C414 TL II, Neumann KM184, Royer R-121, AKG C12

Alright, alright, I went overboard... ;)
The E604's will do on toms as well...

Back