Mics for drums please help!

gframe

i'm looking at a few 7 piece mic sets for recording drums
now in most sets only the overheads are condenser mics would it not be best to have the bass drum mic a condeser mic also? i;m sure i can get away with the toms ans snare being dynamic mics. please help what do you think?

have you had a look at the Samson 7 Piece Mic Kit, its a pretty good pack for the price + you could also use a Sm57 to mic the top of the snare and the snare mic that comes with the pack to mic the bottom.

Price range?
Why is a 7 piece a must?
What genre do you usually record?

Let me know and I'll through some suggestions your way.
You will be better off having 4 good mics then 7 bad ones.

I've been satisfied with the Audix drum mic packs:

DP7
FP7

The small diaphragm condenser mics in the DP7 kit were very clear and responsive to the high end cymbal shimmer. I like the sizes of all those mics. I can't speak to the FP7 sound quality but I'm a fan of Audix products.

I've been satisfied with the Audix drum mic packs:

DP7
FP7

The small diaphragm condenser mics in the DP7 kit were very clear and responsive to the high end cymbal shimmer. I like the sizes of all those mics. I can't speak to the FP7 sound quality but I'm a fan of Audix products.

The old audix fusion kick mic was horrible. I don't know how much they improved it when they updated it though. Here is the d6 vs the f14 vs a shure sm57

I didn't record this. I found it on this forum or another, a long time ago.

gframe,

I usually record drums with 4 mics. Overheads, kick, and snare. Works great and really I can only assign 4 channels to drums anyway.

The most recommended kick mics are dynamics. I guess the EV RE20 is the most recommended kick mic. I couldn't afford one so I use an Audio Technica ATM25 which I like very much.

I don't have a lot of experience with mic kits but if you think about it it's a very competitive market where manufacturers have to provide a lot of mics for a cheap price. Quality has to suffer. I use an all Audio Technica kit I built one mic at a time but if I were putting together a set of 4 mics on a budget I might start with a pair of Naiant omnis for overheads and an SM57 or something like that for snare. These work great and are also useful for many other tasks which usually isn't true of kit mics. You can probably do all three for around $100.

The kick mic on a budget is always a problem. Maybe an EV omni like a PL9 or the Audio Technica ATM25 would be the cheapest route. If you can afford up to $150 your choices open up which is why it's nice to get your other mics cheap.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back