Mics and stuff

Jenny.

Hi all,
I wasn't sure quite where to post this as I'm asking for advise on a few bits and bobs. I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination so please excuse my ignorance. For the last couple of years I've been recording some of my own stuff at home in my one room 'studio' as a hobby. I've just built on another room so there is some seperation between my computer/equipment and live mics. It's not ideal but fine for my rustic recordings.

I need to buy some kit to make a new recording with a band. I want mid to low budget where possible but I tend to get advised to buy all the expensive stuff when I go to music stores and I am then at a total loss as to what to buy, it would be great if you could help?

I currently record my vox on a NTK or a SM58. I have a focusrite pre-amp which i sometimes use, a motu ultralite and logic pro, Event monitors, soundcraft mixing desk which again I rarely use.

I think I basically need;
a microphone to record the piano (I've got an upright Yamaha U3 with silent system installed but I don't want to record it via midi).
a mic and amp to record bass/possibly a DI box if that's more viable?
drum mics....
a mic and amp to record guitar, is this all you need?
I guess looms to run through the rooms....

I am not looking for perfect quality because obviously I'm not going to get it but I am hoping to concentrate on the musical material, experiment with budget/mid-range equipment and just make the best recording i can feasibly make. Your advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jen. ;0)

Hi all,
I wasn't sure quite where to post this as I'm asking for advise on a few bits and bobs. I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination so please excuse my ignorance. For the last couple of years I've been recording some of my own stuff at home in my one room 'studio' as a hobby. I've just built on another room so there is some seperation between my computer/equipment and live mics. It's not ideal but fine for my rustic recordings.

I need to buy some kit to make a new recording with a band. I want mid to low budget where possible but I tend to get advised to buy all the expensive stuff when I go to music stores and I am then at a total loss as to what to buy, it would be great if you could help?

I currently record my vox on a NTK or a SM58. I have a focusrite pre-amp which i sometimes use, a motu ultralite and logic pro, Event monitors, soundcraft mixing desk which again I rarely use.

I think I basically need;
a microphone to record the piano (I've got an upright Yamaha U3 with silent system installed but I don't want to record it via midi).
a mic and amp to record bass/possibly a DI box if that's more viable?
drum mics....
a mic and amp to record guitar, is this all you need?
I guess looms to run through the rooms....

I am not looking for perfect quality because obviously I'm not going to get it but I am hoping to concentrate on the musical material, experiment with budget/mid-range equipment and just make the best recording i can feasibly make. Your advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jen. ;0)

Hey Jenny ....welcome to the zoo!

A di would be fine for bass, unless you want to record the sound you would get from the bass through an amp which you would need a microphone.

A simple drum micing would be just kick and an over head mic. I guess it all depends on how many tracks that you can record at the same time.

A single microphone on the back side of a stand up piano on the sound board is a great way to record one.

:cool:

Thanks, do you have any suggestions as to which mics, amps etc. i should purchase for the jobs? Thanks, Jen.

P.S Is it more usual to record bass through mic and amp or di?

A bass through the amp then miced for recording is a true representation of what the bass player has in mind for *his/her* sound apposed to the sound of just the bass through a di.-Try the beta 52

A shure beta 52 is great on a kick drum and a SDC would be like the shure ksm137 for overhead.

The ksm137 would also be good to mic up the piano.

How many tracks can you record at one time?

Starting with what you have:

Bass is commonly done DI on pro recordings; some mic amps but it's by no means required.

For 'rustic' upright piano, moresound's suggestion is a good one. *Pull the piano out from the wall*, at an angle to the wall helps, and try the SM58, slightly to the treble side of the soundboard. This is done a lot for live sound, and it works well for non-classical recordings too. Add the NTK as a room mic if your room sound is desirable.

Use the 58 on guitar cabs.

For drum overheads, often those are done in stereo, so you'd want a pair of condenser mics. Usually I would suggest buying a second of whatever you already have, but you probably don't want a pair of NTKs and you don't really need to spend that much again. If you're partial to Rode, maybe the NT5s. But first, try recording with a single overhead (the NTK) and the 58 on kick. Get to where you like the mono sound, and stereo will only get better from there.

You can go really crazy with drums, but one step at a time is best. For example, if you decide to get a dedicated kick mic, move the 58 to snare. Or if you buy a pair of overheads, then try the NTK a couple of feet out in the room, in front of kick.

Remember that recording is 80% musicianship, 17% recording technique, and 3% gear :)

I only suggested one mic for an overhead cause I'm still not sure how many channels are available to record at a time .....but true a stereo overhead micing scenario is the best.

Google up Naiant microphones and check out the Naiant X-S! At $39. each this would be your best bang for the buck when it comes to overhead micing of the drums.----and for other sources as well.

A bass through the amp then miced for recording is a true representation of what the bass player has in mind for *his/her* sound apposed to the sound of just the bass through a di.-Try the beta 52

A shure beta 52 is great on a kick drum and a SDC would be like the shure ksm137 for overhead.

The ksm137 would also be good to mic up the piano.

How many tracks can you record at one time?

Fantastic, thank you.

Track-wise, i have a soundcraft FX8;
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/4436-soundcraft-spirit-fx-8.html
(8 mic/line inputs and 18 inputs to mix in total)

And I have a little; Senyx 1202fx
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/behringer-xenyx-1202fx-premium-mixer--31553
(4 jack/XLRs in)

Going to a motu ultralite then to logic pro. I haven't been using the desks for a while as I've been making do recording just piano and vox through my motu which proved very quick and easy so I'll have to remind myself about setting them up etc!

Will check out those mics now. Thank you. ;)

Starting with what you have:

Bass is commonly done DI on pro recordings; some mic amps but it's by no means required.

For 'rustic' upright piano, moresound's suggestion is a good one. *Pull the piano out from the wall*, at an angle to the wall helps, and try the SM58, slightly to the treble side of the soundboard. This is done a lot for live sound, and it works well for non-classical recordings too. Add the NTK as a room mic if your room sound is desirable.

Use the 58 on guitar cabs.

For drum overheads, often those are done in stereo, so you'd want a pair of condenser mics. Usually I would suggest buying a second of whatever you already have, but you probably don't want a pair of NTKs and you don't really need to spend that much again. If you're partial to Rode, maybe the NT5s. But first, try recording with a single overhead (the NTK) and the 58 on kick. Get to where you like the mono sound, and stereo will only get better from there.

You can go really crazy with drums, but one step at a time is best. For example, if you decide to get a dedicated kick mic, move the 58 to snare. Or if you buy a pair of overheads, then try the NTK a couple of feet out in the room, in front of kick.

Remember that recording is 80% musicianship, 17% recording technique, and 3% gear :)

I like that! ;D Think pair overheads sounds ideal, NT5's and a kick mic; beta 52, then 58 on piano and guitar and I guess I can use the beta 52 on bass amp also........ Got to work out how we're gonna record all this, whether we're laying it down together (more pricey with the mics!) or seperately or roughly together then seperately......!? Thanks. :0)

Yep I think stereo will be fine (info. above). Just trying to find the Naiant X-S for sale in the UK. I live in the middle of nowhere and the internet here is a nightmare.....taking me a while! Thanks for the advice....$39 each!! WOw. Are they comparable to the NT5's? Jen.

Does anyone have any opinion on the drum mic' kits;

AUDIO TECHNICA MB/DK7 MIDNIGHT BLUES DRUM-MICROPHONE PACK
Includes a core selection of five microphones specifically engineered for drum applications, along with two MB 4k cardioid condenser microphones ideal for drum overhead miking.
£324

SHURE PGDMK6 DRUM MIC KIT
Includes three PG56 snare/tom microphones, one PG52 kick drum microphone, two PG81 instrument microphones, three A50D drum mounts, six 15ft. (4.5m) XLR-XLR cables and a durable carrying case.
£299.68

Or better to get the seperate mics?

Back