Microphones

zelmobeaty

I routinely use a Shure SM 57 for vocals when I perform and record. I once owned a CAD condenser mic that I liked alot. But I unloaded it because one guy i work with don't have phantom power.

A while back i sang through a Shure Beta 58A and thought it was cool. I'm now thinking about getting a new mic.

My question is - does anyone know of a site that has mic reviews? or can anyone recommend a non-pahantom powered vocal mic, comparable to the Beta 58?

Much obliged

Are you THE Zelmo Beatty???

I remember you from when I was a kid - one of the best jump shots any big man ever had. Must have been tough having to play defense against Russell, Chamberlain, Thurmond, et al...

Anyway, if you like the Beta 58 why is it you don't want to buy one? EV has some similar mics (the ND x57 series: at one time they had a 257, 357, 457, 757, etc.) that are very nice. The Beyer M69 would also give you that type of sound (as well as probably some of their newer vocal mics with which I'm not familiar), as would some mics in the Audix OM series.

Good luck, Z! Thanks for the memories.

littledog said:
Are you THE Zelmo Beatty???

I remember you from when I was a kid - one of the best jump shots any big man ever had. Must have been tough having to play defense against Russell, Chamberlain, Thurmond, et al...

Geez, if you are, I can remember when you played for the Hawks, when they were still in St. Louis! Listening to all the games on the radio. Pettit, Wilkins, Bridges, Hagen...... ah the memories of youth.

But I digress. I'd also agree about just getting the Beta 58, but if you want something else similar, try the Beta 57. I know a lot of people who actually prefer to both sing and record out of the Beta 57 instead of the Beta 58. What I would really recommend though is to just head to the music store and try them all out until you find something that sounds great on YOUR voice.

Thanks everyone. I am not THE Zelmo Beaty. I am Chuck Beatty. Zelmo was my nickname when I was a kid back in the seventies. Quite a few people back in the 'hood still call me that.

BTW - I think I will stick with the Beta 58. I just wanted to see if their was some super low cost alternative.

Back