Microphones- Care and feeding

Dan Merrill

1- how do you guys treat your microphones, in terms of keeping them? In mic closets? On stands with dust covers? Any humidity treatments? Just wondering what everyone's methods are and any general do's or don'ts.

2- I've also read things like: wind can actually damage a large diaphram microphone, and humidity from the breath is detrimental to a diaphram... anyone have any first hand stories about this stuff? I want my investments to last and still sound good!

Personally, at this time, I store them in their cases, with the little DO NOT EAT humidity packages, and most always use a pop filter for up close singing.

LD Condenser
Pop filter always in place. Mic back in case immediately after use.

Dynamic
Lying on desk...
left in stand...
(haven't used it as a hammer, yet)

Queue

actually, I don't think that "hammer" warning applies to the sm57, I have seen them used as a hammer in a pinch and they work great.

actually, I don't think that "hammer" warning applies to the sm57, I have seen them used as a hammer in a pinch and they work great.
They work great as what, a hammer or as a mic after the hammering.....or both? :D

-tkr

both. some people actually prefer the sound of the beaten SM57 to the new one, but I can never tell the difference. I have never heard an SM57 that sounded any worse after this sort of abuse (or use as a table prop, an amp prop, a car jack, etc.)

Back