Microphone stands

KevinTran

What are the options in hanging mics from overhead?

And this is a real newbie question...Do LD condenser mics fit on regular mic stands? I've never owned one but the mic body looks a lot 'fatter' than my dynamic sm58.

If you're moving into the world of LD mics do yourself a favor and get yourself a nice sturdy tripod boom stand. The LD mics come with adaptors that will make them fit anywhere but they're kinda heavy and are prone to tipping over without a sturdy stand.

Bob Keelan said:
If you're moving into the world of LD mics do yourself a favor and get yourself a nice sturdy tripod boom stand. The LD mics come with adaptors that will make them fit anywhere but they're kinda heavy and are prone to tipping over without a sturdy stand.

Excellent advice. the only one i have is a round bottom stand. thanks again.

round bottom stands are not necessarily bad if the base is broad and heavy enough.

If you are planning on doing something like put a pair of LD condensers to record stereo on a bar and put it at the end of a boom then even a tripod stand is likely to tip, Just a matter of the center of gravity. What you might want to have handy ls a sandbag or two to weight the base

I like the Atlas SB36 large boom stands and the Atlas MS25E microphone floor stands with the AKG KM211/1-B 18” to 30” arms.

KevinTran said:
Good Lord!! Thanks for the reply c7. But I'll have to agree with bob, if the stand cost twice as much as my mic, I've got my priorities screwed up. :-)
I notice that they are even charging $45 for a sandbag!

Try the Quiklok A50 - excellent heavy duty LARGE tripod stand, about $125 at Sweetwater. But get rid of the cheap castors and get some heavy duty wheels from the hardware store if you want to roll it.

SG

Back