Microphone Stands and accesories

bair_ohio

Just curious to hear from others about mic stands and accesories.

A while back someone mentioned what I believe he called the tree? For holding to microphones on one stand, for Overheads or whatever other use you could use them for. I found this very usefull. Now in retrospect, im sure this was obvious for a lot of folks but I somehow missed the boat on this one.

Are there any usefull must have items that you would recommend? Interesting stands, pop filters..etc..etc..

thx.

Or could you recommend a mic that would do all this for me? :D for under 100.00!

Last edited:
Are you sure you are not thinking of a Decca Tree? That is a combination stereo technique and device... specifically three omni mics on a T shaped bar. It is not used extensiely in small studios. Though, you find it A LOT in film scoring stages. You can easily find bars for doing XY/ORTF setups like Scrubs linked to. It all depends on what it is you are recording. If you are after a concert recording rig, a lot of guys just use a tripod with an ORTF setup and a DAT. BTW, howdy fellow C-busite.

bair,

My two cents....for regular stands (straight vocal stand or smaller boom), K & M (Koenig and Meyer.) Made in Germany. Not the cheapest, but very good. I see them in 95% of the cases when I do concert coverage, from rock to big bands. Most of the sound companies seem to use them. I do too.

For the heavyweights of the mic world (should I ever be able to afford any), I'd go with the Atlas studio boom. Big mother with counterweight.
It will hold your Neumann/Manley/Heine masterpiece safely (just look at some of Frank Sinatra's studio recording stills and you'll glimpse the Atlas holding a 67 or similar near him.)

Best,
C.

Back